Author Topic: Maple saplings?  (Read 3004 times)

Offline Mounter

Maple saplings?
« on: May 24, 2016, 12:04:13 am »
Was clearing out some brush by the shop the other day. Saved some maple saplings, anyone messed with them before?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Maple saplings?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 08:27:27 am »
What kind of maple? Some is good bow wood, others are not.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 09:12:50 am »
sugar maple makes a decent shaft. Soft maples ..... don't know.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Mounter

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 10:13:44 am »
I'm pretty sure it's silver maple..  Guess I let them dry a couple months and see how they workout?

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 11:02:10 am »
Guess I let them dry a couple months and see how they workout?

a plan is always good. Good luck!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 12:09:58 pm »
I think you can make an arrow out of anything depending on what you are shooting at. For example I made some arrows out of old growth Western Hemlock. They were beautiful. The wood was straight,very stable and they spined out very consistently. I only shoot at the range and the targets have a steel framework. My bamboo arrows have lasted for at least a year but the hemlocks would only make it a month and the tip would break. The wood is too brittle for that use. If you were shooting at a hay butt or possibly for hunting arrow the hemlock would probably be fine.

Offline Mounter

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 01:34:42 am »
Well,if nothing else. I used some of the bigger saplings to make hoops for a couple mountain man type beaver hoops. It's surprising how dry and stiff they got after only a couple days with the bark removed. Add some feathers for decoration tomorrow and they'll be ready by this weekend.

Offline Mounter

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 12:09:10 am »
So, I  couldn't resist messing around with a few of these shoots... They seem ok, I hand straighten them, check the next day.. Still straight, tweek them a little here and there. ???? I really hope they work out cause I'll have an endless supply, but I have lilac and some others I'll need help Identifying as options. If nothing else I have a new supply of beaver hoops.. :)

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 06:01:20 am »
I keep messing with the few experiemntal shafts I have left from Silky Dogwood and Hazel. The Hazel is a softwood and both warp on me. I have always read on groving, but have never done it. Might have to give it a try and see if it helps any.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline Mounter

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 02:03:16 pm »
Ya, I'm not sure Rob, may be a waste of time.. But I'll see what these do in a couple weeks after they've dried more.  I have about 15 more that still have bark on, I don't plan on messing with them unless these 1st four show promise...