Author Topic: Deer meat into dried beef?????  (Read 10993 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Deer meat into dried beef?????
« on: May 24, 2016, 05:09:55 pm »
Anybody out there got a good recipe for making goood dried beef type meat out of deer meat?I mean that it tastes exactly or close to good dried beef.Personally I love the stuff.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Deer meat into dried beef?????
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 06:29:25 pm »
Maybe I should of asked this in the cooking thread.Is it really cooked though??????
BowEd
Ed

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 06:51:13 pm »
you mean jerky right Ed?
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Zuma

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 06:56:24 pm »
Maybe I should of asked this in the cooking thread.Is it really cooked though??????
No need for the Cooking forum, your not cookin anything >:D
Dried beef? does that = beef jerky?
Adding beef fat to ground venison and then jerking it may be what you want???
notice the ? ;D
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 06:58:13 pm »
Nope dried beef.Like the stuff in the grocery store.I know it's a brining process but I don't think it's dried like beef jerky.
BowEd
Ed

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 08:20:19 pm »
Ed, I've never done it but it is probably the same as using curing salts when I make pastrami and corned beef but with a different set of spices.

Google Morton Meat Curing Recipe's. There are some good ones on there and a bag of there salt is around $10 and will last you forever.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 08:26:47 pm »
Yep, I just googled making dried, chipped, venison and it is made the same way as I said above. Brine it with curing salt and your choice of spices and dry in a Dehydrator or smoker.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 02:27:59 am »

I have dried beef, for jerky, and never soaked it in brine, or used the nasty curing chemicals, sodium nitrate, or nitrite, or sodium erythibate.  I just soaked the meat in a marinade that my buddy showed me.  But I later, just sprinkled the spices on the wet slices of meat, I had put on the drying racks, and it came out great.  In fact I left it on longer than usual, and it came out very crispy, like a cracker, and would crumble in your mouth, and then absorb the juices in your mouth.  Very tasty, and my friends keep asking me when I am going to make some more.  I make a big batch, and put it in zip lock bags, take it on long trips, and hunting.
  Just cut it in thin strips, and remove as much of the fat as you can, as it leads spoilage.  Venison, is very lean, already, so no need to worry about the fat content of the meat.  The fat is between the skin and the muscle, not in the meat as with beef.
                                     Wayne

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 08:56:14 am »
Yep.Thanks fellas.I just wanted to be able to slice it off a roast type piece.Sandwich meat.Not like beef jerky in pre cut slices.Hard and leathery.
BowEd
Ed

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 01:54:33 pm »
Cold, corned venison is great sliced for sandwiches. Then throw a little home made sauerkraut on it.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 08:58:42 pm »
Yeppers....Sounds goooood.Chipped beef on toast in the morning for me too.
BowEd
Ed

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 11:30:42 pm »

Oh boy that all sounds mighty good.  as a kid, for breakfast, chip beef, and cream sauce on toast..... ah man that was good.  The corned venison sounds great also!  Crap now I am hungry again......

Wayne

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 12:24:36 pm »
Good thinking on this. I know all that would be good and leaving out the unhealthy curing salts would be a plus. I guess most of the good stuff is "unhealthy" these days. I think making cured meats from deer would be good  and just as good or better than other ways of preparing our harvests. I think Armour used to sell a little jar of dried beef for sandwiches that carried well when away from refrigeration. Probably still do. I like the idea. cure and put in a vacuum seal or just a Ziploc with the air forced out for improved travel of the meat. Mullet, I hope your recipe is on here for the cured meats. I am going to look.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2016, 01:35:39 pm »
Chief; not sure if I put it on or not. But, if you go to Morton Salt's website, then meat recipes, that's where I got it from.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2016, 02:10:37 pm »
Bacteria is the enemy....Old time curing methods involved a lot of salts and left the meat so salty that it needed to be soaked in several changes of water. I believe most all natural salts have some natural nitrates in it. I read somewhere that the Romans way back when, used a natural salt for curing and it was high in nitrates. Some folks like that much salt but not me.
The other option and an absolute requirement if you process at low temps with smoke is to use the nitrates in curing. They are considered poisonous but you use a small amount to cure and you would digest a smaller amount when you eat it. Just about all store products contain nitrates that involve pork,beef or poultry in a dried and smoked process. I make a jerky with Morton Salt and a tiny bit of nitrate and other seasonings for venison. It requires three days of mixing and blending to get it completely blended. A slow dry in a dehydrator with either liquid smoke or an additional smoking in a grill finishes it.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes