Author Topic: well that went a lot better  (Read 4738 times)

Offline jeffp51

Re: well that went a lot better
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2016, 11:36:46 am »
Thanks for the compliments. Crooked Arrow, I think making a good set of arrows may be tougher making a good bow. But how can you shoot one without the other? I make mine for a few reasons:

-when I looked at buying good arrows, the sticker shock about gave me a heart attack. Too much for something designed to break eventually.
- it tickles my OCD buttons in a good way. I know if I work it long enough, I can get it just right.
-home made arrows seem to match a home made bow

--but I don't care all that much about pure primitive-ness. I like to make beautiful, useful (functional) things.  These are hardware store bamboo shafts. I would rather save my wild feathers for the self harvested shoots I have drying.

Thanks again.

These

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2016, 01:28:18 pm »
Very nice arrows, the spliced fletchings look ace  8)

Ruddy Darter.

Offline Mounter

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2016, 02:06:50 pm »
Wow, beautiful job all around.. Tips, cresting and fletch job...

Offline loon

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2016, 04:49:23 am »
haha I thought you died the feathers, not spliced
Do you use a spine tester?
Man I can't wait to make a matched set. Nice job. Being able to make a matched set is awesome, I hear it is much harder than just making one.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2016, 11:56:11 am »
My spine tester is a digital caliper (from harbor freight) and a chart downloaded from the internet. I found several examples in Google, and it is a cheap and accurate setup. It is fairly easy to sand a shaft to match spine, or to match weight, but harder to do both at the same time.

Offline DC

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2016, 11:59:00 am »
To match spine, sand in the middle, to match weight, sand the ends.

Offline DC

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2016, 02:56:13 pm »
What diameter of boo do you look for for 75# spine?

I was spining some shafts and remembered this post. These are all just under 3/8" and spine 50,60,70 and 80 left to right. It's impossible to tell just by diameter. I think the wall thickness and age at harvest have more to do with it. I just stockpile them and pick out the spine I want. If it's not there I sand or scrape down a heavier one. The actual weight of them is all over the map too.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2016, 11:22:47 pm »
Just an update--I have been shooting these four arrows for a bit now, and while I still miss plenty, I also have hit some really nice groups on a far more consistent basis than ever before.  I am now confident that when I miss, it is my fault and not the equipment.  It is also nice to see just the nock and the spinning fletchings going down range. 

Of course the down side is now I am getting a soft spot in the middle of my target and since the arrows are flying straight, they sometimes penetrate up to the fletchings. . .

DC, I have noticed the same thing about bamboo thickness and spine.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2016, 10:46:07 am »
Just an update--I have been shooting these four arrows for a bit now, and while I still miss plenty, I also have hit some really nice groups on a far more consistent basis than ever before.  I am now confident that when I miss, it is my fault and not the equipment.  It is also nice to see just the nock and the spinning fletchings going down range. 

Of course the down side is now I am getting a soft spot in the middle of my target and since the arrows are flying straight, they sometimes penetrate up to the fletchings. . .

DC, I have noticed the same thing about bamboo thickness and spine.

Tape some cardboard over the front and back.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline DC

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2016, 11:39:22 am »

I guess that's one advantage to being a lousy shot ;D ;D ;D

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2016, 12:42:56 pm »
Ooh la la those look nice