Author Topic: Arrow pass material  (Read 7362 times)

Offline DC

Arrow pass material
« on: May 27, 2016, 02:39:43 pm »
Has anyone tried guitar picks as an arrow pass? The one I have looks like mother of pearl. It's very thin and and I'm wondering how well it will wear.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 03:51:54 pm by DC »

Offline penderbender

• island life...
Re: Arrow pas material
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 02:41:46 pm »
They seam to last a while with a guitar. Try it out I bet it would look good!

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Arrow pass material
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 03:58:58 pm »
Mother of pearl is surprisingly hard wearing.
I'm sure a guitar pick would work just fine.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 05:54:03 pm »
There was a guy on here who used them for tip overlays once.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 10:35:06 pm »
I have a bunch of raw shell if you need some. Shell is 10 times harder to carve/sand than antler. It looks amazing and I would use it more if it wasn't such a pain. Plus the dust can make you quite ill.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 12:22:25 am »
I live 100 yds from the beach, shell is not a problem. :D :D I've found that the shells are mostly bent the wrong way. I want a shiny convex surface and shells are mostly concave. If you know of a way to bend them I'm all ears ;D ;D

Offline chamookman

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 03:23:06 am »
Black Cherry & Pin Cherry bark makes an attractive pass - the deep red color looks real nice on Osage or Yew. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 08:21:38 am »
If you grind away the outside of the shell won't the mother of pearl appear as a convex surface as well if it has any thickness?

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 08:56:47 am »
  Whats wrong with shooting of the wood shelf with no side plate. Adding a side plate makes your arrow LESS closer to center shot. Some people do it for the looks because they grew up lesarning that way.

Closer to center shot you have less to worry about arrow spine. If your releasing right there's no noise or arrow slap off plain wood. Adding a 1/8 side plate not a smart move.

Your going back to your recurve days where you learn you have to have a rug and side plate. I've shot off the shelf for over 20 years. Not saying this is for every body. Not very many people have a crisp clean realease.

Just saying you don't need  rest or a side plate.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline loon

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2016, 09:58:56 am »
Side plate, I guess is just in case your arrow spine is too weak or release is off and your arrow is hitting the handle on release?.. to avoid wearing the wood or handle wrap

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 10:50:16 am »
  Whats wrong with shooting of the wood shelf with no side plate. Adding a side plate makes your arrow LESS closer to center shot. Some people do it for the looks because they grew up lesarning that way.

Closer to center shot you have less to worry about arrow spine. If your releasing right there's no noise or arrow slap off plain wood. Adding a 1/8 side plate not a smart move.

Your going back to your recurve days where you learn you have to have a rug and side plate. I've shot off the shelf for over 20 years. Not saying this is for every body. Not very many people have a crisp clean realease.

Just saying you don't need  rest or a side plate.

People typically recess an arrow pass of harder material.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2016, 11:48:31 am »
I live 100 yds from the beach, shell is not a problem. :D :D I've found that the shells are mostly bent the wrong way. I want a shiny convex surface and shells are mostly concave. If you know of a way to bend them I'm all ears ;D ;D

Um... flip it over? The other side should be opposite. Of course you'll have to sand the dark outer layer off.  I typically end up with a flat piece after I sand and shape it anyway. I take the sanding all the way to 2000 grit, then I buff it. It shines like jewelry. Plus as already stated you can carve a recess into the wood of the handle so that it sets flush with the wood.
How thick are the shells in question? The only way I see my methods being a problem is that the shells you have might not be thick enough. I got lucky and found some that range from 3/8" up to almost an inch in thickness. I had to go to a local stream because this species of mussel isn't found in lake erie.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2016, 11:55:09 am »
I just assumed that the MOP was a very thin layer that was only on the inside of the shell, not carrying on through. I will try and sand the outside off and see. Hard as it is it's going to be a pain to buff though. I will report back :D

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2016, 12:28:35 pm »
It must get laid down in layers so some thickness must be there. Just saw a cross section and view the prospective layers that way first.

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2016, 01:43:22 pm »
Yes you are right. I was afraid that coming in from the back with sanding and buffing might affect the colors of the MOP. I did a small piece and the result is not to bad. The little square in the middle was sanded in various grits to 1000 grit and then buffed with red buffing compound. It's not quite up to the original but it was tough holding that little bit. If I do the back of a whole shell it will be easier to hang on to and maybe I'll get a better finish. The pictured shell is abalone and its very thin. I'll go down to the beach and get an oyster shell and try that. Tha abalone has better color than the oyster but we'll see. Thanks for the clue.