Author Topic: Tip overlays  (Read 1478 times)

Offline MXer

Tip overlays
« on: May 28, 2016, 12:06:19 am »
I would like to put some overlays on a Juniper bow I'm working on.  ...unless that is uncommon for Juniper?   Do you guys normally sand the overlay glue side to fit the contour of the bow back?  I'm just wondering how some of the overlays I've seen attach to the bow so seamlessly.  I've also seen some bow tips cut off at an angle then the overlay takes up what was cut off.  I have flipped the tips and am having trouble keeping the string on.  I figured that an overlay with wrap-around groove would be best. 

My other option would be to build a lip with sinew.    I'm not quite sure I'm going to use sinew on this one...may go rawhide.

Any ideas?

Offline DC

Re: Tip overlays
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 12:20:38 am »
Flatten the bow tip and the overlay.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 06:01:10 pm »
A belt sander is perfect for doing overlays. If you are doing it by hand pay close attention to keeping your sanding block level and only go in one direction or you'll round the edges and won't get a flush seam.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 07:50:33 pm »
It's best to perfectly flatten both gluing surfaces to ensure a good bond. I grind most of the tip away, at an angle, and replace it with horn. I use Smooth On epoxy and groove the gluing surfaces with a toothing plane blade. I've never had one come loose. The grinding is done with a hand held belt sander, held in a bench vice. The opposite bow tip is on the floor against my instep so it doesn't move and the angle of the grind is adjusted by where i place my foot and by tilting the sander in the vice until the desired angle is achieved. Once the first one is complete, without moving anything, the second one is quickly ground to match it.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline MXer

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 08:34:36 pm »
Does anybody have any pics after sanding and before the overlay?  I have a black and pearl cow horn I could use for it.