Author Topic: Arrow build-a-long  (Read 27733 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Arrow build-a-long
« on: June 01, 2016, 04:37:18 pm »
There was a vendor at Marshall selling straightened bamboo shafts really cheap.  Several of us picked up a bundle from him.  I started working on mine and thought it would be a good idea to do a build-a-long.  I want to improve my arrow making and could use some help along the way.  I spined a few of the shafts and they were all in the low 60's.  That's a little heavy for what I shoot.  The arrows are long right now.  I'm going to finish the nock end and keep shortening them until I get good arrow flight.  I've never done any bare shaft tuning.  I'm not sure how that works.  I guess I'll figure that out when the time comes. 

So far I've drilled a hole for the nock and wrapped the shafts to help prevent cracking.

I used a utility knife to rough out the nocks.  I'll be working on these in the evenings after I get home from work.  It might take me a while to finish them up.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: Arrow build-a-long
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 04:42:09 pm »
bareshaft testing . . . consistent draw/anchor is needed. Looking forward to your arrow-building approach.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 05:14:01 pm »
I'll be following this! Always loved arrows , from the finely crafted, to the most primitive.
Good luck!
~Isaia

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 05:23:30 pm »
After what you did to Bill I doubt he'll jump in for any pointers

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 05:47:00 pm »
i picked up a couple o dozen of those as well. so gonna follow a long.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 07:43:24 pm »
Pauly is likely correct. Or, some misinformation may be imparted.   >:D
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 07:48:38 pm »
After what you did to Bill I doubt he'll jump in for any pointers
Naaaaaa......This will be good to help others with building arra's....Thanks Clint

Paul/Mike.....Clint will be looking over his shoulder for a while ;)

Though Clint makes pretty good arra's himself........
You have a good start..... drilling through the tape will help from splitting on the back side of the hole.  File or sand the hole smooth the boo can be very sharp and cut your string serving.  Make you nock a little wider than your string and for the final touches, heat the tips of the nock with a candle and with a needle nose pliers pinch the tips just a bit, making snap on knocks for hunting.

To reduce the spine some, you could chuck the shaft in a drill, fixed in a vice and sand down the shafts a bit.
Keep it coming Clint
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 08:56:29 pm »
What's your drill size? The protective wrap is what kinda tape?

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 09:01:42 pm »
Don't forget to take a square file and chamfer the nock................
DBar

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 09:03:36 pm »
triangle file?

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 09:05:38 pm »
Square ....90 deg.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 11:08:41 pm »
Great idea, DBar.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2016, 09:07:17 am »
I would test them before reducing spine, bamboo tends to like a slightly heavier spine than wood, I know that makes no sense mathwise but I've found it to be true nonetheless. For those following along without a square file what I do is take a board or anything else hard with a 90° corner and just lay some 220 sandpaper over it. Looking forward to the rest!

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 09:19:14 am »
I like to use 2 hacksaw blades tapped together to cut down to the hole I drill for my knock. After light sanding it too makes a nice snap knock for hunting. Can't wait to see more Clint

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 11:06:42 pm »
bareshaft testing . . . consistent draw/anchor is needed.

That may be a problem with the way I shoot
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left