Author Topic: FYI - This Texas Weed Is Good For Arrows, Etc.  (Read 3905 times)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
FYI - This Texas Weed Is Good For Arrows, Etc.
« on: December 29, 2010, 01:33:39 pm »
It's called poverty weed or Roosevelt weed.  I wish I had discovered this plant years ago.  I know a lot of you guys from Texas have probably seen it but there's not a lot of talk about it.  I think it's seriously under-utilized.  It is easy to cut and process when green and hardens nicely when dry.  I haven't had any problems with checking and it can be hand-straightened without heat if it's not too crooked.  I grabbed some on my Christmas road trip.  A good portion will be waste unless you're very careful when selecting the shoots.

Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline TRACY

Re: FYI - This Texas Weed Is Good For Arrows, Etc.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 11:06:09 am »
Hey Patrick! Looks like willow in the first pic. Looks very usable though, good luck.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline knapperhead

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 11:48:45 pm »
Patrick,
I know this is a really old post but I was curious if you had made any more arrows out of poverty weed since? How long did you let them dry out and did you leave the bark on? This stuff is everywhere and would be really easy to obtain.
Thanks,
Matt

Offline neuse

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 06:42:49 am »
I thought it was called seep willow.
Yes, I would like to some you may have finished.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 06:49:29 am »
Looks like some Very promising stuff. Just a thought as a farmer and for the environment please leave any seeds if any there. Usually stuff that's everywhere can become envasive real fast.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline jim l.

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 01:21:01 am »
Looks a lot like dog fennel. I was wondering ifanything could be made from it.

Jim L.

Offline Tower

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 03:17:26 pm »
When I was younger the Old Cowboy ranchers where I'm from called it desert willow. 
I don't know it's proper name. 
I've always wondered if it would make an arrow.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 12:37:05 am »
Hi guys.  This is a really old thread!

So, have I made any arrows from this lately?... nope.  But I've harvested some and looked at it and said to myself, "Self, this looks like too much work right now, so skip it."
 ;D

I made some arrows from this in the past and they worked well.  The shafts can be hand straightened or heat straightened... a lot like birch but lighter.  I've been doing a lot of reading on desert southwest arrows made from this stuff and it goes by many names.  Most sources call it desert broom.  It's known as poverty weed or Roosevelt weed to the botanists.  But archaeologists call it desert broom, arrow weed, greasewood, and probably a couple other names....all inaccurate. (edited)

It grows in the worst soil conditions, is drought tolerant,  and can be found along roadsides thoughtout most of Texas.  Choose shoots that are 1/2" thick on the fat end and cut it as long as possible... 30" or more if you can.  It dries quick, about two months with the bark off.  I don't know about bark-on drying because I always peel it right away.  I toss out any that split... maybe 1 out of 5 will split.

I would love to make more arrows and foreshafts from this stuff but it's time consuming because of all the little kinks that need to be removed when straightening.  But once you get it straight and sanded down, it works great.  It's great for basketry too, by the way, after soaking in water.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 10:00:26 pm by JackCrafty »

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 10:04:49 pm »
Just made a new video on greasewood as it relates to Apache arrows.  Poverty weed gets confused with grease wood (google images) so I made the video of my experience with greasewood, poverty weed, Apache arrow making, and such.

https://youtu.be/SBdR1SEUaIk

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas