Author Topic: First Shoot Arrow!  (Read 4586 times)

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
First Shoot Arrow!
« on: June 04, 2016, 07:50:49 pm »
Hello everyone,
I'd like to share my first primitive arrow replica,
Made out of a shoot taken from a tree in front of my house!

Here are some pictures:

http://prntscr.com/bcg00l

http://prntscr.com/bcg120

http://prntscr.com/bcg1hq

http://prntscr.com/bcg20q
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 07:55:09 pm by Knotty »
~Isaia

Offline Knotty

Re: First Shoot Arrow!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 05:41:27 pm »
Pictures should work now 👍
~Isaia

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 02:11:32 am »
You are diving right in on things. I wish I could do that. Looking good.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 08:31:10 am »
That arrow must have taken a ton of time to assemble. Congrats!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Knotty

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 10:04:59 am »
Thank you so much guys 😊
From harvesting the shaft to the finished product , It must have taken about an hour (my guess).
The next ones should take less 👍
~Isaia

Offline loon

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 10:26:38 am »
That's really fast. Even with the knapped head?
Well, you didn't heat straighten it?

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 10:56:05 am »
Good job but it should be straighter. It will shoot better. ;D ;D

Offline Knotty

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 02:57:20 pm »
I heat straightened it, it was all bumpy and curvy at the knots 😂

The knapping was separate, took me an extra 15/30 minutes.

I heat straightened it with a candle flame , which also gave me the black smoke on the wood.

@DC thanks for the comment, I'll make sure to straighten the rest more 😊

~Isaia

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 03:30:51 pm »
When you get down to the little wiggles it doesn't take much to straighten it. With my first few I was overbending the little kinks and not noticing. If you bend a little too much it's easy to think that the bend is still there. You don't realize that you're rotating the arrow and now you are looking at the other side. When the arrow is hot try a lot less bend than you think you need. I've chased the same bend back and forth and found out later that just a little bit would have done it. I've never used a candle so I can't comment on that.

Offline Knotty

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 04:32:48 pm »
@DC, The candle was surprisingly easy to use, and in under 10 minutes I got the whole shaft straightened, so you should try using it next time 😉
~Isaia

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 06:25:01 pm »
Isaia, do you know the name of the plant you got your shoot from?
 You did a good job on your first shoot arrow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Knotty

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2016, 06:58:41 pm »
Hey Pat!
Thanks for the comment, appreciate it!

Unfortunately I do not know the name of the plant which I got the shoots from,
However I will be taking a picture of it tomorrow and I'll be posting it here so you can see.

~Isaia

Offline le0n

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2016, 07:21:45 pm »
nice work, man 8)

for a primitive replica to be placed somewhere as decor, this will do just fine.

there are some steps that you just can't skip when making an arrow that can safely be shot from a bow with meaningful accuracy. one of those steps is seasoning the wood properly before taking the time to work with it. with most woods around here, even cane, will bend and become curved as the wood dries. some woods will check/split in a few days if they are not sealed. any arrow that cracks prematurely is not safe to shoot out of a bow with any real power.

now as far as timing goes, it can easily take me a combined three hours to finish one good arrow.

this is from straightening, measuring, spining, cutting the nock, reinforcing the nock (sinew or thread), grinding the taper to add a field point, gluing the point, testing, straightening some more, splitting feathers, grinding feathers, fletching, wrapping the fletched ends, etc.

you'll see; as you start adding in these steps it will take longer.

if you're creating works of art, keep doing what you are doing. but if you want to make arrows that are safe and accurate to use, read into those steps above. the guys on here have a few nice arrow building tutorials. they may or may not explain everything they are doing during the builds because some of it is understood, however, if you have any questions on any part of the process, don't hesitate to ask.

now the constructive criticism (if you were going to shoot with this arrow):

Straighten the arrow more (enough where you can roll the bare shaft on a flat table like when testing a billiards stick).

For most woods, it's ok to shave down the knots/nodes. This helps with the straightening process but is not entirely necessary.

Shaft direction. Next time, you're going to want to use the heavy/fatter end of the shaft as the point end. This is important in regards to weight distribution and flight. It also gives you more material on the end for hafting your points.

Fletching feathers should be from the same side wing & the same side of the feathers. If you start with three bare feathers of the same size, split and use the same side of the feathers so that the curvature of the quill and the grain of the feather better match each other. mixing left and right wing feathers on one arrow can really alter the speed & flight pattern. Grind the quills until they are even and flat, this helps when positioning and attaching. you want to create a helical effect on the end of the arrow that cause the arrow to spin evenly while in flight.

I obviously can't tell this from the photos, but read up on how to "spine" the arrow shaft; find the stiff side of your arrow and make sure that when the arrow is placed on the string, this stiff side will be against the bow. this step happens before you deep cut and finish your nocks.

Reinforcing your nock. Some do this, some don't. I feel it is good practice as it keeps the bow string from potentially splitting the arrow. After all the hours put into making the arrow, sometimes it is nice to have that added sense of security. I've also found that when shooting tight groups of arrows, it's nice to have a reinforced nock that can properly deflect an off-centered field point impact without splitting. Also, you may want to cut the nock a little deeper to lessen the chance of dry-firing your bow; again, not entirely necessary, but it is a little safer.

Wrapping those quills. Feathers are nice and soft, but their quills are a force to be reckoned with. The flesh on your hand is no match for a quill that's glued to a shaft flying in excess of 120 feet per second. Wrap those front ends so that there is no possibility of them lifting up and hooking into your skin. i use sinew on my front wraps. you can also use plant fibers, cotton thread or silk thread with super glue, or even wood glue alone to create a smoother transition from the quill to the shaft.

with some guidance from the guys on here, you'll be making some pretty sweet arrows before you know it. it takes the will to learn, and from what i can see, that's not going to be a problem.

keep up the good work.

also, what bird did the spotted feathers come from? those are nice.

Offline Knotty

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2016, 11:30:46 am »
@le0n thank you very much for taking your time to write that essay which I read with much enthusiasm!
I will definitely use the steps mentioned by you in my next arrows!
The spotted black and white feathers were taken from a wild Guinea Fowl which is called "Galinha Angolana" here in Brazil!

@PatB and everyone who's interested,
This is the tree from which I take my shoots:

Tree profile:
http://prntscr.com/bdwmzw

Leaf Close-up:
http://prntscr.com/bdwpf1

Flowers Close-up:
http://prntscr.com/bdwqh2

This tree has highly elastic branches,flowers all year long, extremely fast growth, wood is not too dense, and somehow does not produce viable seeds.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 11:36:20 am by Knotty »
~Isaia

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2016, 02:18:41 pm »
Man, those grow everywhere down there. Even at the airport in Sao Paulo.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?