Author Topic: Elm Hall elm bows - who's building?  (Read 20451 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Elm Hall elm bows - who's building?
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2016, 01:45:36 pm »
I knew you would me my friend, thank you.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2016, 03:59:18 am »
If things go ok I will have 2, we will see after I take them out of the hot box and finish the tillering, still seems a little wet for some reason but I am not use to Elm so it may just be the way it is. :-\
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2016, 09:12:20 am »
Elm often feels that way pappy, but if you are hot-boxing them, they are dry. I got mine tempered and shaped last night. Ill add over lays and get it tillered this week. I MAY try a small 30" bow from one of my cut offs.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2016, 11:13:48 am »
I got mine shooting over the weekend. I started with a 2" (or so) sapling and got all I could from it. I'm sitting at 33 @ 26 now. Its a nice bow, but I would have liked more weight. Like 40# @ 26. I may try to add a bit of early reflex and see what I can gain. All in all, I'm happy with it.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2016, 08:24:48 am »
I left my first Elm blank at the Classic.  I was going to work on it down there.  I believe maybe that I filed string grooves it.  I put it in the hotbox and forgot it was there, come time to pack up and come home.  So it's been down there Since May.  It was an adult sized, no frills longbow.  I've commandeered a taxi ride home for it, after the IBO. 

As a contingency, I decided to make two more.  I'm working on a kid's bow that I've got to a long string, limbs balanced, tiller okay, just need to reduce some weight.  The second is a plains style short draw that I just heated up on the caul, last night.  I think I'll try to get a bit fancy with that one, time permitting.

Oh Drums, what variety of Elm is that?  Do you know? 
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2016, 08:52:21 am »
Good news Matt! Im 99% sure it American elm, but I didn't look close enough at the leaves.

Offline Rocky

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2016, 11:43:27 am »
Hey Matt,

Do you want me to pick up your Elm for you this weekend at Twin Oaks?

Rocky

Offline MWirwicki

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2016, 01:13:33 pm »
Wish I was going, but have to do the family thing.  I didn't know you were going.  Gary Davis is picking it up for me.  Thank you, anyways.  Have fun!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Rocky

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2016, 01:54:00 pm »
Picking up 20 Rhinehart targets used for the IBO from Twin Oaks. You guys can put some holes in them with your elm bows in a couple of weeks!

Offline MWirwicki

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2016, 08:38:10 am »
Sounds great, Rocky!  Looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Rocky

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2016, 04:46:56 pm »
FYI my shoulder is getting stronger and I'm hoping I can shoot in the Green Bow Challenge. And this year's Great Northern Bow raffle is for a Lil Creep with GREEN glass, courtesy of Jerry Brumm, and a Great Northern Quiver from Bob. We love those guys at PRRC! Hopefully there will be another entry in the Green Bow Challenge next year!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2016, 06:55:54 am »
Got mine in the sealing process now. I'm going ALL out female on this one. So guys make sure the wife, girlfriend, daughter, granddaughter or daughter in law puts some tickets in. Its 63" 33 @ 26, contoured grip/shelf and shoots sweet. White leather grip wrap, white rabbit fur silencers, pink string and a few pink beads off the bottom of the grip stitching. Its all girl and ready for action :)

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2016, 07:00:18 am »
Cool Chris. Always lots of ladies in attendance at the elm hall shoot, should be a lot of interest in a hand made ladies bow.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2016, 03:46:54 pm »
Got mine in the sealing process now. I'm going ALL out female on this one. So guys make sure the wife, girlfriend, daughter, granddaughter or daughter in law puts some tickets in. Its 63" 33 @ 26, contoured grip/shelf and shoots sweet. White leather grip wrap, white rabbit fur silencers, pink string and a few pink beads off the bottom of the grip stitching. Its all girl and ready for action :)

Am I going to have to go to Elm Hall to see it?  where's the pic's?
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2016, 04:41:20 pm »
I was thinking maybe if I had some pictures the wife might want a raffle ticket. Do you know the cost of tickets yet? Are all the bows going to be in the same raffle?
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise