Author Topic: today's resale shop find  (Read 4888 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
today's resale shop find
« on: June 09, 2016, 02:05:58 pm »
Stopped at a resale shop today. Walked out with case of old old target arrows. Now to restore them to semblence of their former glory!

... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bubby

Re: today's resale shop find
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 02:12:49 pm »
Nice find
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 02:13:31 pm »
That will be a fun project, lucky find.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 02:14:21 pm »
One of nocks must be replaced. Hot water best 1st option for getting it off?
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 02:35:07 pm »
Nice find.  How old are those arrows?  It might be a good idea to replace all of the nocks.  Plastic can get brittle with age.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 03:02:28 pm »
Nice find!  I would definitely replace all those plastic nocks and flex all the arrows to be sure none are cracked.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 03:17:21 pm »
Have no idea on their age, Clint. A few of nocks are of more reent vintage. But most of them are quite thick plastic like nothing ya see today. And some of bullet points are like nothing of recent vintage.

Here's a few more images.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 03:28:25 pm »
When I want to remove a nock I stick it in a target and shoot it off with another arrow.  Much faster than steaming it off  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 03:34:01 pm »
When I want to remove a nock I stick it in a target and shoot it off with another arrow. 

I've witnessed your shootin'.   ::)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 03:39:13 pm by Knoll »

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 04:13:48 pm »
Oh that's nice! I'd really love to see the final result, they're already lookin great, fletching aside 😂
~Isaia

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 04:57:07 pm »
You can also try shooting them at a steel drum..... that will knock them off sometimes too also a good way to see if it's cracked anywhere  >:D Clint taught me that one

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 05:10:41 pm »
Hot pan of water good as 1st effort to get nocks off?

Mike .....I'm not sure water would be the best, the water will most likely swell the wood shafts.  If they were glued on with a heat sensitive glue a candle heating the plastic nock might work.  If they were glued on with epoxy/fletch tite, I have cut them off with a very sharp box cutter.  starting at the fletch end of the nock and cutting towards the string groove.  making sure not to cut too deep into the taper of the shaft.
Just and idea.....
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2016, 05:12:18 pm »
You can also try shooting them at a steel drum..... that will knock them off sometimes too also a good way to see if it's cracked anywhere  >:D Clint taught me that one

Surrrrrrre, shooooooot a ddddddrrum
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2016, 06:41:36 pm »
 ;)      :laugh:      ;)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2016, 07:08:37 pm »
Those are 50's, 60's. I'd cut all of the knocks off and replace them.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?