Author Topic: New Yew bow build along  (Read 34199 times)

Offline DC

Re: New Yew bow build along
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2016, 07:16:56 pm »

the bow has been worked down to about 1250 grams which is about right for the weight I am going for.

I've never heard of reducing the stave by weight. Is this in liu of floor tillering? Is it similar to Badgers "Mass Principle"?

Offline Ian.

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2016, 07:31:03 pm »
It's exactly Steve's mass principle, with some alterations based on experience, I've adjusted his formula but it's very accurate for longbows. My process is to get a stave roughed out, do lots of measurements and checks then weigh it and this forms my initial tillering. I never use long strings, as you can see from this I've fitted the knocks before even bending it once. I'm sure this is how bows would have been made 500+ years ago.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2016, 11:58:21 am »
Nice work Ian, looking great so far. Enjoying this thread  8)
What sort of bow length do you have or aiming to have to go with that weight and draw?

Ruddy.

Offline Ian.

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2016, 12:48:29 pm »
Ah that's what I forgot to say, it's 81" long and I'll keep that as the final length. Aiming for 150 @ 30". Ideally the physical weight should be 1150grams but as long as I get it to that physical weight after 20" then I wont do any damage to the bow.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2016, 01:26:12 pm »
A little heavy eh? 😉

I wish I could pull at least 80# haha
~Isaia

Offline Ian.

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2016, 04:37:08 pm »
Done the final check before stringing it, (first picture) Balancing in the middle let's you see if the limbs are even. At this point I'm looking for the bow to be exactly balanced in the middle, this, with an even taper will always give a near correct tiller.

Here are some stills from the video

Second picture shows that I need to make a stringing jig as it's far too heavy at this point for me to string by myself. (I can easily string 170lb bows but new ones are extra static)

Offline Knotty

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2016, 04:50:54 pm »
Dang! That's looking so darn heavy!!
Everytime I string a very heavy bow, I have the feeling it's gonna explode on me, not sure why 😂

Keep it up!
~Isaia

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2016, 01:45:33 pm »
Looking at the second oicture you may want to adjust your lifting technique - it would be bad to ruin your back with most of your life in front of you...

Offline Ian.

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2016, 01:56:49 pm »
Dang! That's looking so darn heavy!!
Everytime I string a very heavy bow, I have the feeling it's gonna explode on me, not sure why 😂

Keep it up!

Yeah and it'll hurt if it does go pop, I think you just have to brave it. These big bows aren't that likely to explode when stringing as long as the nocks are strong.

Lucasade: you're right I should

Offline Ian.

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2016, 04:51:26 pm »
So I hit the 28" mark and realised my calculations were slightly off, I forgot to allow for the reflex in the stave so at 1151 grams it's come out at 170lb at 30"

Unfortunately the video is dark but I'll shoot it again on the tiller and from a better angle doing the final weigh-in in a few days.

Unstrung the stave now shows slightly less reflex, it's basically dead straight and there is no sign of compression marks at all. I'm really happy with how this one has come out although it still needs sanding and finishing.

Offline WillS

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2016, 05:01:20 pm »
Beautiful looking bow Ian, well done!  Nice to see it done so cleanly without long string tillering!

Are you on top of 170lb yet?  If I remember correctly you were shooting 160lb a few years back?

Offline DC

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2016, 05:29:16 pm »
Lordy Murphy me boots son, that's some pull!!!

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2016, 05:48:19 pm »
Very impressive Ian, really nice result in a short period of time.  8)
The weighing method seems very effective.

Ruddy.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 06:05:41 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Offline Knotty

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2016, 07:28:23 pm »
Very very nice, coming along great!
~Isaia

Offline Lehtis

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2016, 05:37:54 am »
Impressive, both the coming bow and the way of working.