Author Topic: New Yew bow build along  (Read 33941 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: New Yew bow build along
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2016, 08:11:31 am »
He!! of a stick for a bow and good way tillering to final outcome.Powerful shooter there.Confidence in past bow making of this kind makes this look easy but I'm sure it's not.Never made one of this type yet.I do the mass weighing thing though doing flat bows from floor tiller to short string and am pleased with the results too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

mikekeswick

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2016, 01:05:33 pm »
Nice! :)

Offline ajooter

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2016, 11:27:59 am »
Build along?!  More like a "Built along"!! Awesome work.

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2016, 04:31:34 pm »
Ajooter, he'll be posting a video of all the steps he did , so yeah 👍
~Isaia

Offline Ian.

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2016, 07:52:26 pm »
Now it's all finished I will be making the video - I'm a better bow maker than editor as it turns out so fingers crossed.

Courtesy picture

ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline Badger

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2016, 11:04:40 am »
  I do it the same way you do, I rough them out by mass weight. It always gets me very close, sometimes too close for comfort LOL. Beautiful job on that bow. I sure hope you can make it to the narionals one day. That bow would also qualify as a self bow in the broadhead class. I doubt anyone could get near it with anything past or present.
The tiller is beautful.

Offline Badger

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2016, 12:59:24 pm »
  I was watchin a guy on you tube crank back a 225# elb on his tiller tree. Every time he stopped cranking to check weight you could see the weight just dropping. I don't know if it was his first time drawing it or if it had been drawn several times before but it lost a ton of weight in compression. He didn't show the unbraced profile but I bet it had taken some serious set.

Offline Ian.

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2016, 02:16:46 pm »
Thanks for the comments Steve.

About the compression: I did film that on this bow so when the video is done my tilering process can be seen. As a rule of thumb I think 20" is when you can start to notice damage to the bow. When I first hit 20" on the tiller this bow was 120lb exactly then when I drew it to 28" I reweighed it at 20" and the weight was 114lb so it lost 6lb through that 8 inches of bending. That is pretty damn good for a bow of this weight and I know that is the reason it didn't take set and the string is very taunt when braced. It's all about the principle of tillering a bow when you know it's going to bend near perfectly first time.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline Badger

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2016, 02:22:52 pm »
  6# loss at that kind of weight is a tripple a+ for tillering. As you say get it started right and it will likley stay right if designed properly.

Offline Badger

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2016, 02:51:02 pm »
  Considering the profile you held I believe that bow has the ability to break a record that might stand for decades to come. I would consider shooting it in self broadhead as well as elb unlimited flight.

Offline Ian.

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2016, 03:27:10 pm »
I'm not very strong at the minute and to get anything in distance you have to pull the bow easily and really get a god loose - that isn't me at the minute. A friend of mine is keen to shoot it and he could easily. For now this bow gets put with half a dozen others until I get myself back into these weights.

Offline 9333 NZ

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2016, 06:23:19 pm »
Nice work Ian, great to see you building big bows again. You have a ripper bow there from a stunning stave. Very interested in your tillering process and like you I try getting the nocks on as soon as possible. After meeting with Jake he explained you guys don't piss about bending the stick and tiller incredibly quickly, something I would like to adopt. You make a good point about balancing the bow from center and this is something I will be doing from now on.
Cheers
Aaron

Offline Ian.

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2016, 09:28:39 am »
Cheers Aaron, I haven't posted this one on Facebook yet I'll wait until the video is done.

In total I think it was on the tiller for 20 minutes, strung maybe an hour in total. If it wasn't for me having to get the camera in order and take pictures it would have been strung only as much as I was tillering it. Now it's never going to be put back on the tiller again and probably only string a few times this year. I wouldn't even say this was a serious flight bow :/

mikekeswick

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2016, 03:13:14 am »
It would interesting to keep weighing it at a set drawlength during it lifespan to see if the weight drops as it 'beds in' so to speak. I fully concure that if you get the tapers right the tiller will be right. I just get a bit iffy when I read - you guys don't piss about bending the stick and tiller incredibly quickly....
Impressive stuff nonetheless.

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2016, 06:11:13 pm »
Let us know when you get the video ready!
~Isaia