Author Topic: BREAKIN GLASS...  (Read 13519 times)

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
Re: BREAKIN GLASS...
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 01:15:23 am »
Very, very nice.  How wide a piece do you have to start with to get them that thin.  My problems on glass and porcelain (anything that's flat with no high spots to follow) is I tend to create some wicked hinge fractures that it takes forever to work out.  You seem to have it down though. 

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 01:29:47 am »
Very nice points Mike. I would hunt with any of them.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2008, 02:25:50 am »
I take a whole side at a time, then abrade... forever ...and take the other side.. abrade  abrade abrade and start over ... I use my ishi stick and really concentrate on each flake before working it i got lucky and had good runs right to the center from both sides... with lots of time spent on the edges .. but they are gettin better...  if i just take my time and be certain to abrade......I have been knapping for twenty years ... but never made a truly nice looking point until I met Wolf Watcher.. he was kind enough to teach me what i have been doing wrong all those years.... and really helped make knapping enjoyable again for me ... anyhow thanks for all the kind words guys..... we all hope that our work is OK .. nice to hear good things from so many talented rock breakers..  Mike A/ho   
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2008, 09:34:21 am »
That's better than I can do
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline lowell

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2008, 10:26:01 am »
Very nice points!!

I just started trying to knapp in the past 2 weeks and I didn't think you had just started.... or at least I had hoped you hadn't just started!!!! ;)

Guess I have get some years of experience to start getting ones close to yours. 8)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2008, 02:22:36 pm »
I haven't found anything that Hawk is not good at.  Working 1/2" material down to the size he did is a hard thing to do.  I like the flat side of old milk of magnesia bottles as it only takes a couple of passes to have a shootable point.  Trying to make points out of glass bottoms is difficult as one side is almost always concave and requires some preparation.  We must be crazy as everything we find looks like a potential point.  Watcher
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2008, 02:28:00 pm »
Watcher, you should post some pics of your points for these guys to drool over... ... Hawk..A/ho

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2008, 02:39:27 pm »
Here's a few I've made. Just wanted to learn to make an authentic looking point in the beginning (that was my goal), really had no reason other than to hold it and look at it :D. Then one thing led to another - lotta fun!

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2008, 02:53:53 pm »
HOLY COW.. don't you work, looks like you spend all your time Knappin, lol... great work bro.. i know who to call when i run low on arrows.. those would fit nicely into my quiver... .. you truly have a gift with rock breakin.... thanks for sharing brother ... Mike A?ho

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2008, 03:02:26 pm »
Cowboy:  beautiful craftmanship.   What is the material in the other knife besides the obsidian blade?  You can come for a visit anytime!!  Watcher
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline cowboy

« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2008, 03:09:46 pm »
Thanks guys - yes unfortunantly seems like I'm always at work. Sometimes I can sneak away and do fun stuff though. My wife would tell you I'm possesed, I might tell you I have a passion :). That lower knife is made of novaculite I bought in MO, all that other is the Pedernales stuff I pick up around San Antonio..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2008, 03:36:43 pm »
Real nice stuff guys. I just started knapping late last year. I Have been inspired by your creations.
Thanks
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2008, 04:19:07 pm »
Dang! Cowboy your getting better and better all the time. I seem to just be making lots of flakes!

Obsidian on its way by monday! Found some super hard mixture of lace like with streeks of gold sheen in it. Should make some nice points! I will add some of that to the booty. By the way how long do you want the spalls?
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline cowboy

« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2008, 06:00:43 pm »
Thanks David! That sounds like a pretty wild mix of stuff your sending, if it's spalls they can be anywhere from two inches and longer. Hey, you don't know how much I appreciate it :).

Offline david w.

« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2008, 07:23:31 pm »
WOw thats all i can say wow

you are some talented people i hope i can do that someday
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo