Author Topic: BREAKIN GLASS...  (Read 13525 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: BREAKIN GLASS...
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2008, 09:40:54 pm »
You will David, you will ;D. So have you snuck out behind the shed with your knappin stuff yet? >:D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline david w.

« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2008, 09:59:48 pm »
No i havent done much knapping because i dont have much material since i cant knap glass anymore,but i am aloud to knap just not glass and my neighbord landscaping is full of small cobbles and i have been makin simple flake tools.  None of it is good enough for arrow heads or knife blades so i posted in the trading section for materials.

one good thing about making flake tools is i am learning to bang another rock against another (isnt that called percussion?) and i am getting good results so i am learning some skills and principles of cone and platform and finally started to use an abraider.  i am spalling flakes alot better and they are predicatable flakes not just banging ;D

o ya if i cut myself i have to pay the medical bills  im serious

These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2008, 05:54:14 pm »
Thanks David! That sounds like a pretty wild mix of stuff your sending, if it's spalls they can be anywhere from two inches and longer. Hey, you don't know how much I appreciate it :).

No problem! You've been waiting patiently for a long time. 

Still have not had a chance to do anything with the stone you sent me. Tried breaking it into flakes to heat treat and I ended up breaking my biggest bopper on it. Then went to steal hammer and it shattered the hammer! Went to sledge hammer next and finaly got it to crack!!! You sure you didnt send me diamonds in disguise????  ;D Just joking but dang it that is the hardest stuff I have ever seen.

Think you can do a heat treating demo on this rock a the Classic comming up? That would be cool to see it done and see how the rock comes out after.

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2008, 06:59:06 pm »
cowboy! - these arrows look really GREAT!!!
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2008, 02:45:29 pm »
 Those are some really nice glass points. Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2008, 12:51:37 am »
 made a new one..nothing like cowboy or wolf watchers stuff bit I didn't break it ;D ;D ;D ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2008, 12:25:22 pm »
That's a gooddun Mike! Dadgum, you got her thin - looks like it aught to hang on when you stick it in something :). Is that a touch of red I see on your thumb there? ;D..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2008, 07:13:28 pm »
nice i dont know how to knap the cross sections..the roughness on the face and back of the point
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Staver

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2008, 08:52:39 pm »
Mike, you got some awesome skills there! 8)  I'm stoked that you and others are sharing your talents.  It gives people like me inspiration and motivation to keep pluggin away honing my scruffy skills.  Thanks again Mike.  BTW, are you gonna haft any of your points and send em flyin?  If you do let us know what you get on the other end! :D  Joe H

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2008, 09:49:27 pm »
staver, we can't hunt with stone points in Wyoming for big game , but can hunt small game and turkeys with sticks and stones.... so i will have a few in my quiver this spring ... thanks for your nice comments brother .. look forward to posts of your work... Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

avraham

« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2008, 12:51:41 am »
If I understand it correctly, you knap a row around the form then flatten the edge so it will withstand taking another row off.  With clear glass can you use a black permanent marker to darken the edge to show where you have and have not knapped?  When you are done you should be able to take off the permanent marker with an alcohol wipe.  What do you think?

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2008, 04:22:17 pm »
Sounds a bit tedious to me! Just break lots of rock. Thats the only way to learn.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline stickbender

« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2008, 05:58:59 pm »

As a Friend from New York would say, "  Aww Youse Guys! " Man you guys are killing me.  I still can't seem to get the hang of getting the middle humps out, or consistant long flakes.  Made some arrow heads the other night, started out with a nice sized piece, and thought I would have a decent sized arrow head, but ended up with a smaller one.  My knuckle flap has finally closed, but still red and puffy.  Of course if I would leave the rock alone for awhile longer, it might actually heal, with out my bumping, and scraping it.  This is a hazardous addiction, or I mean Hobby......Man Hawkbow, and Cowboy, those are nice.  I wish I lived where I could just go out and pick up a truck load of knappin rock.  It's here in Fla. but you have to know where, and sometimes you have to be uh......sneaky......or uh.....stealthy.  Luckily, Eddie gave me a bucket of spalls of different material, and sizes.  The small stuff, I use as practice pieces.  The bigger stuff, I "try" to make something out of it.  Occaisionally, I will get something that starts to look pretty good, and it either breaks, or I can't get the lump out of the center, etc.  You guys are good.  I will just keep smacking, and pushing, and prying, till I can get there.  So long as my blood supply can keep up. ;D

Wayne

avraham

« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2008, 07:43:52 pm »
I have o- blood, holler if you need a few cc's.  :)

Offline stickbender

« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2008, 08:50:53 pm »

Ahh, another universal donor.  _ or + ?  I'm _.

Wayne 8)