Author Topic: Caloosa fishing bow  (Read 14041 times)

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

Caloosa fishing bow
« on: February 27, 2008, 05:07:33 pm »
.I want ta go fishin' tomorrow. Its supposed ta be in the 40's so guess what will be up at top of water in swamps tryin' ta get "rays " and get warm ? ;D Hint-has LOTS of teeth and comes from amazon ! I luvs ta eat em up heh-heh-heh !  ;D Caloossa bow from a hibiscus branch. 36 " long pulls 20 lbs @15 ". Construction time with a sharp flake = 2 mins. Cuttin' branch =3 mins. Total = 5 mins. Dinners on ! ;D ;D ;D.......bob

[attachment deleted by admin]

jamie

Re: Caloosa fishing bow
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 05:15:47 pm »
bob i been wondering what you would use for a quickie string down there. up here it depends on the season. if the sap is running i can use bark strips for a durable quick string. its sluggish but its its good for small game and fishin for panfish. late seaon i use vegie fibers like milkweed anddogbane not as quick but available and a great string. year round i use bittersweet. invasive so may as well use it up

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 05:29:28 pm »
It takes me longer than that to find my fishing pole.  ::)  I want to see some pictures after the fishing trip.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 05:33:56 pm »
Thats ifn I dont eat em first Justin ! ;D

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 05:39:30 pm »
 Jamie........coconut husk fibers, bromeliad plant fibres an banana stalk fibers. Banana and bromeliad is kinna messy ta make, coconut isnt. Mostly I use coconut fibers, I keep about 5 er 6 wound up at all times. Have made  strings for 50+ lb bows with coconut. Its easy ta get, waterproof and strong. Lots of other stuff here but this is what I was taught so its what I use and its real easy ;)....bob
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 05:51:20 pm by Coo-wah-chobee »

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 06:16:38 pm »
Neat little fishin bow bob, how about some pictures of yer fishin arrows?
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline david w.

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 07:52:13 pm »
Cool
once you shoot the fish do you have to grab it real fast
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 07:54:51 pm »
David ifn ya shootin' piranha like I will tomorrow hopefully ya do cause they are school fish. Otherwise they just devour the wounded fish and all ya get is scraps........bob

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 08:45:56 pm »
Here ya go Dana. 3 fishin' arras outta cane. They float thats why ya use em' !  ;D Total construction time =8mins. Fire hardened tips over firepitt that has pot of soup on. ;) ;D..........bob

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 08:48:08 pm »
Oh yeah arras are 27" long and total construction time fer bow an arras =13 mins thats with stone tools. ;) Now ya see why Indians survived down here fer 12,00 years.! ;D Sorry , coulnd't resist ! :D.......bob

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 08:52:12 pm »
Just an idea, but couldn't you split, wedge and wrap the points like the nocks to get 4 instead of 2 to get a frog/fishing point?
Steve in LV, NV

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 09:03:42 pm »
Now there's some thrifty equipment ;D. I'm like Justin - want to see them toothy little critters, unless of course your really hungry ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 09:59:02 pm »
Thanks bob I like the nocks on the arrows, interesing and efficient.
Good luck fish hunting eh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 01:46:29 pm »
coo-waa,

deffinatly take pics of toothy bluegills will ya!

and on the plate.

im guessin ya look for deeep pools where the water is cooler down below then they come up...or do ya chum for the buggers and just keep shootin?

anyhoo , grat pics,great adventure!!!!

"esti"

Dustybaer

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 03:51:15 pm »
bob, love those arrows, especially the nocks.