Author Topic: Watch me build a reflex deflex boo backed ipe. NOT INSTRUCTIONAL  (Read 56620 times)

PK

Re: Watch me build a reflex deflex boo backed ipe. NOT INSTRUCTIONAL
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2008, 01:58:37 am »
I like that already, Nice tools. :'(

Offline Jesse

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2008, 12:20:33 pm »
Thanks PK. You want a bandsaw dont you? ;D I know its not very primitive to use power tools but this bow is not exactly the most primitive either. I made some bows with all steel hand tools and I gotta tip my hat to the guys that use stone tools. :o Its gotta be rewarding though.    Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Bent Rig

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2008, 11:01:46 pm »
Hey Jesse - why do you scrape the rind off (shine)- does everyone go through this process with Boo - just wonderin ?

Paul 
Syracuse , NY------------"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
                                                                                     - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Jesse

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2008, 07:40:09 pm »
Bent rig. I dont think you have to scrape it off. I do it for looks because it is impossible to stain boo with the rind on. Also sometimes the outer surface has imperfections that you can scrape right off so why not. I never made one with the rind on so maybe someone else will chime in and give you better advice.   Jesse
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Jesse

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2008, 11:17:25 pm »
Well I got a little farther. I cut out the fades and sanded off the glue. That looks better :o  I like the color a lot.

I put it up on the board before any tillering is started so I could make a note of its original reflex and deflex. I know a lot of the reflex will come out but this way we can compare it to the finished bow and see just how much.

Next I glued on some overlays of African blackwood. Itsmy first time putting them on at an angle. Looks weird right now I'll have to work on these ???

Oh  I also changed my screen name if you didnt notice.    Jesse
    --Frank A. Clark

Rich Saffold

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2008, 02:25:35 pm »
Jesse, Those tips are at the same angle I use. Especially on skinny elbs where stability might be an issue it actually gets the back of the string inside the back of the bow.

1 1/4" isn't too wide on a bow this long for starters either. Its always much easier to take it off later than vice versa...

I'm glad you are doing this build-a-long, actually its good for me to see someone else do one since everyone has a good idea or two, and you have shown a couple that I like seeing. That curved block is a great idea..

Don't worry or be surprised if the limbs take on more reflex when tillering since it will come out.

I pm'd you about the strings, and I'm glad you did, I didn't even realize this section was here! Fast flight, and Spectra are all I have been using the past few years. 12-14 strands is the norm, and I use 10-8 on my personal bows, and I fatten the serving if I need to..I also use and endless style with very little twists since it gives a bit more speed.

Rich

Offline Jesse

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2008, 02:35:39 pm »
Thanks Rich I asked the same question about fast flight to Badger I know you both use it a lot. I think I will give it a try if this thing turns out.  Jesse
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Badger

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2008, 12:34:05 am »
Jesse, that bow is comming out great, it looks just like mine, I started using the block of wood you posted with the curve on it per your build along, I like it better than my old way of just pulling them down. When do we see a full draw pic? Steve

Offline Badger

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2008, 12:35:40 am »
Jesse, you may not loose any reflex, I often gain reflex if I leave the belly a bit thick in the glue up, great profile on that bow, it should be real stable, fast and an excellent shooter. Steve

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2008, 05:58:19 am »

jesse!  -  that is a really nice blank you build there!!!

looking foreward!

frank
Frank from Germany...

jamie

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2008, 09:22:58 am »
awesome build along. ive tried a dozen glue ups and have had all but 2 blow up in my face or twist or badglue lines, etc. this post gave me some great ideas, peace

Offline Jesse

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2008, 10:52:33 pm »
Well thanks for the encouragement guys its good to hear. I really hope it turns out good. Right now its just a pretty piece of wood. Later it will either be a bow, a toy, or firewood :D. I cut it kinda close on my measurements because the last one I did I was scraping forever just to get it to start bending. This one I cut just over finished dimensions but it seems plenty stiff yet.  I am a little worried about the riser because I had to tork the clamps hard to get it flat. I did a dry run but must have mixed up the pieces at glue up. Looks to be good and I shouldn't have any bend there. Cross my fingers
Steve ---Full draw is a ways off I don't have string grooves yet :D  Im glad you and Jamie got something out of this. That makes it worth while even if it fails. Which I hope it doesn't ;D   Jesse
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Jesse

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2008, 11:14:53 pm »
I got a little further now but not much :). I filed the string grooves and got the overlays looking a little better.

Next I started tillering with a long string and then tried going to a very low brace. I dont like the low brace with this much reflex. It seems too easy for the bow to flip around if you are not careful. Here it is pulling about 30# but if you look at the tips its not even halfway to brace height. Knowing when to brace is the trickiest part for me. I have tried bracing too soon and broken one and I have braced to late and couldn't reach target weight. How do you guys do it?
    --Frank A. Clark

Rich Saffold

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2008, 02:22:56 am »
Jesse, I'm floor tillering the bow until I can string it.  I also look down at the lower bow limb when I am imitating stringing it, and see how its moving this way as well. I know you can push pull string a 65# bow and probably have another one, even if its glass around to give you an idea of what it feels like.  The limbs still must be moving outside the grip the same as with a straight limbed bow, and these limbs are going to be close to straight when you string it.

If using the long string, make it as short as possible so you don't pull the tips out more than the inner limbs, this is why I teach folks to get real good at floor tillering this level of bow. You don't want to spend too much time putting it back on the rack and pulling on it when its going to look different when braced possibly losing unnecessary poundage.

It is different and can be a bit intimidating initially, but if you  get a hands on feel for these limbs it's going to help a lot. You will feel when you are close to stringing it as they will become very "lively" for lack of a better description.  These bows don't settle much in weight so it should look and feel like a finished 65# bow when you first string it.

As I look at the pic, remove belly shavings f from the handle out..I like using the thicker bamboo like you did as well.

Rich-It's looking real good at this point

« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 06:27:36 pm by Rich Saffold »

Offline DanaM

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2008, 08:39:07 am »
Looking good Jesse can't wait to shoot it :) You get your schedule cleared for the Classic???
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI