Author Topic: My board bow (build along?)  (Read 84284 times)

Offline Marin

Re: My board bow (build along?)
« Reply #270 on: March 22, 2017, 07:01:41 pm »
Well more tillering today. I'm starting to use my eyes more when tillering and then use the gizmo to verify what I see. So far the bend in both limbs seems to be equal and I just need to make it less stiff around the fades.
Anybody think otherwise?

Offline Marin

« Reply #271 on: March 22, 2017, 07:03:11 pm »
Probably also mention it's getting much easier to string which is another sign that the stiff limb is definitely getting less stiff.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #272 on: March 22, 2017, 07:14:03 pm »
That's normal Marin.The wood is stretching and compressing.Can't help but peek at your build here.The wood is bowing to the string as they say.Looks very good.I'm staying away from this build-a-long because I believe too many chefs ruin the broth and you are seeing things correctly too.Any way your in good hands.Even though this build seems to take quite some time it's better that way then too quick.It should go a little faster for you now.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #273 on: March 22, 2017, 07:26:00 pm »
Marin it's a little hard to see real good by that snow fence would be easier with just a solid background but from what I can see it looks pretty nice bend. It's to the point where just a few scraps will be noticeable. Make sure you exercise it before you check it's bend and remove more. How far are you on draw now? And you probably said some where but I didn't catch it what is your target draw length?
Bjrogg
By the way I completely agree with Ed. Sometimes to many cooks in the kitchen. If I'm confusing you please tell me. Bubby has more experience than I do and I've never made a board bow either. Your doing good now is definitely not the time to rush. Now is when you have to keep going from tree to couple scrapes back to tree etc. etc.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Marin

« Reply #274 on: March 22, 2017, 08:10:34 pm »
Thanks Bjrogg and Beadman,
Sorry about the snow fence. I actually thought I might help determine the degree of bend on both sides but I'll just take photos on the  other side of the deck.
My target draw length is 28". It's at 14" of draw at a brace height of about 4" (measured from belly side of handle to string). Last I checked it was at 27 lbs at this level but this has probably reduced.
I am exercising it before I stretch. I've been making sure to do that since the beginning. I am trying not to go too fast and I am counting my scraper strokes. I do about 3 or 4 passes on a stiff area or just to where the pencil marks start disappearing.

Offline Marin

« Reply #275 on: March 22, 2017, 09:22:09 pm »
Bubby,
I just wanted to see how long the final string was compared to the tillering string was so I placed the final string in one nock and stretched to the other. I then found that the final string is actually longer than the short brace string. It stretches from nock to nock very easily. Am I supposed to twist the string to make it shorter? It wouldn't make it much shorter but already the string is too long.

Offline bubby

« Reply #276 on: March 22, 2017, 10:11:57 pm »
Yeah just twist it to shorten it, I made it to the length that you said but i probably didn't twist it enoughget it about 2" shorter than the nocks and brace it, it won't stretch like that tiller string. Then just keep twisting till you get to a 6" brace it looks ready for that😉 looking good!!
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Marin

« Reply #277 on: March 22, 2017, 10:14:41 pm »
Thanks bubby

Offline bubby

« Reply #278 on: March 22, 2017, 10:42:21 pm »
If we have too I'll make another string😉

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #279 on: March 23, 2017, 06:19:20 am »
Your 1 st bow is looking better then 90% of the first bows made ,your lucky you have good mentors , taking your time is key to making a good bow , can't wait to see it flinging arrows !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Marin

« Reply #280 on: March 23, 2017, 05:36:49 pm »
Thanks stick bender,
I'm being careful not to screw up and am trying to learn as much as I can from all of you. Thanks again for the help

Offline Marin

« Reply #281 on: March 23, 2017, 09:04:14 pm »
More tillering today. I focused more on getting the inner limbs less stiff before I move on. It appears that the left limb still has a very stiff inner limb so I will work on that some more, here's a photo of today's progress.

Offline Marin

« Reply #282 on: March 25, 2017, 09:30:56 pm »
Did some more tillering. Got it evened out and when up to 15" and then 18". At 18", it was about 30 lbs. the tiller looks pretty good though is it just me or are the inner limbs too stiff?
I do have a question about thing he timber hitch. It seems that whenever I go to restring the bow, the timber hitch must have loosened up so I have to constantly retie it, and that takes time cause I have to retie it to the same exact length which I never can get, so I basically tiller using a different brace height every time, which I think is bad. Do you guys  have tricks when tying timber hitches to ensure the right length? I would make one of those Danzn Bear string adjustment things but I don't have metal working tools.

Offline Marin

« Reply #283 on: March 25, 2017, 09:32:42 pm »
Probably should,mention the top photo is 18" and the bottom 15".
And I meant to say "tying  the timber hitch". Sorry

Offline bubby

« Reply #284 on: March 25, 2017, 10:37:51 pm »
I leave mine strung while i work on it. What draw weight are you going for, right now you are looking at 60 lbs at 28"