Author Topic: My board bow (build along?)  (Read 84296 times)

Offline Marin

Re: My board bow (build along?)
« Reply #285 on: March 26, 2017, 01:24:09 am »
I'm going for 45 lbs. I'm going g to reduce it once I get to 45 lbs.
 I also decided that I'm going to trap the belly. I realize that is probably for the better and it won't take that long.
And you can leave it string while you work on it? Won't that cause it to set though? And do you ever find your self having to retie the knot as it gets looser and the brace height shrinks?

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #286 on: March 26, 2017, 06:18:26 am »
Because red oak is bit weak in compression, I've trapped the back . . . but not the belly.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #287 on: March 26, 2017, 09:53:20 am »
Well, you are making progress! :D  I won't offer much advice since you are already being coached by some of the best.  You are approaching twenty inches of draw length, so in my opinion, it is time to think toward how you will check your tiller as you approach the final draw length.  I never leave a bow drawn with the string hung on a peg long enough to change hands and pick up the camera and take a photo.  It is okay to do that when the bow is drawn up to twenty inches or so.  After twenty inches, I shy away from that practice.  I believe it can over strain a self bow's belly and induce too much set.  I go to a pulley on the floor and a rope hooked to the bowstring.  If you have someone else to photograph the bow for your tillering critiques, and never draw the bow back for more than a couple of seconds, it can add life to your bow.  I like a flat white background with some horizontal lines draw on it to help gauge how my limbs are bending.  Keep reducing weight until you hit your target 45lbs at 27" of draw.  Then with your final sanding before finishing it will come in just right. :)  or it will bust all to heck and you can grab another piece of wood and start over... ;D 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline bubby

« Reply #288 on: March 26, 2017, 10:52:43 am »
Yeah like knoll said if you trap it trap the back, that will drop the weight as well. I don't think the timber hitch is slipping if it is tied right, but as you scrape wood the brace hight will get lower. Try for 20lbs at 20" that should set you up for 45# figuing 3lbs an inch. Now like howatd said about the tree, once the tiller is good at 20" what i do is start shooting it at short draw, say 25 arrows at 20" then i just gradually work it out to full draw, have someone take a pic about 24" with an arrow nocked and put a pc of tape on the string so you nock it in the correct spot , say the thickness of the arrow aboce center, you got this about wrapped up, round up the handle some before you shoot it so you dont shoot the feathers off
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #289 on: March 26, 2017, 11:29:33 am »
Looking Good  (SH)
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #290 on: March 26, 2017, 12:35:28 pm »
Your getting to the fun part Marin, good luck I'm just gonna let Bubby give you advice now. Can't wait to see you shooting that bow. Bet your gonna have a big chezzie grin in that full draw picture.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Marin

« Reply #291 on: March 27, 2017, 05:33:01 pm »
sorry, I meant trapped the back  ;D
Still new at this.

Offline Marin

« Reply #292 on: March 27, 2017, 05:36:20 pm »
So once I got it bending evenly at 20 lbs at 20" I can just gradually shoot it at different draw lengths? I don't have to continue using the tree (in theory)?

Offline bubby

« Reply #293 on: March 27, 2017, 05:42:29 pm »
That is how i do it, i have found that on a straight forward stave with little character,  that the tiller  rarely changes past this point and especially with a board, but like i said have someone take a pic when you get to 24-25" just to be safe

Offline Marin

« Reply #294 on: March 27, 2017, 06:29:19 pm »
Oh and since I'm trapping the back, shouldn't I be targeting for 25 lbs at 20"  and then trap the back before shooting?

Offline bubby

« Reply #295 on: March 27, 2017, 06:31:38 pm »
Trap the back  first

Offline Marin

« Reply #296 on: March 27, 2017, 10:22:27 pm »
And target for a higher weight?

Offline bubby

« Reply #297 on: March 27, 2017, 11:06:20 pm »
Trap the back, xheck the weight, get it to the weight you want, then procede😉

Offline Marin

« Reply #298 on: March 28, 2017, 10:49:49 am »
I know I asked this brides but before I trap I just need to verify, so I am sanding off a chamfer with a constant width of 1/4" and angle of 45 degrees from tip to tip?

Offline bubby

« Reply #299 on: March 28, 2017, 12:21:30 pm »
I know I asked this brides but before I trap I just need to verify, so I am sanding off a chamfer with a constant width of 1/4" and angle of 45 degrees from tip to tip?
Yeah basically,  i kind of let my chamfer fade out before it gets to the tips, you also want to round off the edges of the chamfer