Author Topic: Standard 125 gr blunts  (Read 1902 times)

Offline RBLusthaus

Standard 125 gr blunts
« on: June 24, 2016, 12:50:17 pm »
I have a couple of dozen 125 gr blunts that I purchased from 3 Rivers.  I thought they require the same taper as a field point, but when I went to fit them, not only are they short (the regular taper is too long), but when I cut the tip of the taper a little shorter, they still did not fit well at all.  I did some experimenting and it seems that if I nock taper the point of the arrow, then do the point taper over the nock taper, they fit better, but still not well enough for me to be comfortable installing them. 

I got fed up and installed normal field points instead -  which fit perfect. 

Any thoughts?  Possibly the blunts I have are mis marked 11/32 -  or do blunts require a different taper? 

Russ

Offline le0n

Re: Standard 125 gr blunts
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 01:03:11 pm »
check out my reply here to see if it helps: https://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,57295.0.html

Offline RBLusthaus

Re: Standard 125 gr blunts
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 06:08:13 pm »
Thank you leon for that post.  That is a great method when an odd or unusual point has to be fit to a shaft.  Could also use lamp black in the point and fit, sand where marked, black again, fit, etc until good. 

I use a home brew tapering setup on a sander so I get fairly good tapers that fit field points and BH perfectly (almost), but not with these blunts.  With the blunts, the tapers are both too long and of the wrong angle, it would seem, and I cant figure out why.   

Russ