Author Topic: penobscot bow in game of thrones 6x09  (Read 13144 times)

Offline bassman

Re: penobscot bow in game of thrones 6x09
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2019, 09:29:49 am »
Conversation piece at most. They stack,and are bulky, and no gain in speed. I have made them from Bamboo floor boards, Horn beam, White Oak, Hickory, and Ash. I made the back bow one third ,one half,and three quarters the length of the front bow trying to find a combination that would be superior to a well made self bow. That never happened. Rudders sold them at one time, and Blacky Schartz did a positive write up on one. That sparked my interest to build them. Every one I built was a disappointment. I have two left. The rest I gave away. A 52 inch long all Hickory, and  a 60 inch long Ash, and Oak combo.These were made 9 years ago. Here are some pics.

Offline bassman

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2019, 08:11:28 am »
Sorry, Pete Ward did the testing on them not Blacky.What Mikekeswick said also.

Offline bassman

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2019, 01:32:38 pm »
The top bow was made with a sliding nock,and longer string that buttoned off on the base of the smaller bow. Was called a Mic Mac war bow ,but their was no such thing. Shooting Vikings from 200 yards out. Myth. These natives were of the Algonquin tribe. They made simple D shaped bows.The double bow came into being around 1900 by a white man. That being said they do attract a lot of attention because of being so unique.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2019, 11:51:25 am »
could this be a way to add weight to a bow that came underweight?
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline bassman

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2019, 02:32:45 pm »
Yes ,by twisting, or untwisting the back strings you can adjust the draw weight 10 to 15 lbs.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2019, 12:04:55 pm »
Then i would say thats why people made it.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2019, 05:44:11 pm »
There biggest benefit in my mind. If you only have small pieces of good strong bow wood and long pieces of low quality wood. You can get the best of both by using the cruddier wood to get out to the draw length you need, even if it’s nowhere near the weight you want. Then you fasten on the short heavy bow and get it’s draw weight with the draw length of the longer bow. Think of pine main bow with an osage backer bow. I could see it working out well enough. Though it makes for a heavy, bulky bow. They do shoot well though, just not any better than a well built one to start with.

Kyle

Offline bassman

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2019, 07:02:04 pm »
The biggest  benefits I see is building a young lad one that will adjust from his now draw ,and adjust to his future draw weight , and to show off his unique bow to his friends. For a practical hunting bow it is not ,and would not be my choice. Nothing wrong with building one though, and killing a white tail with it. I am sure some have already, because it would be capable of the task at hand.

Offline airkah

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2019, 10:09:08 pm »
could this be a way to add weight to a bow that came underweight?

I have one I'm finishing up right now for that exact reason. Its the only reason I'll make one. I built another one a couple years ago. It shoots well, but for me they are a bit too much of a pain to get strung up correctly for my taste. Its just too easy to have the string tension wrong and throw the tiller off. That being said, everyone but me loves that thing.

bownarra

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2019, 02:17:03 am »
It would be quicker and easier to make a new 'normal' bow instead of messing around making another 2nd bow to no advantage.

gutpile

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2019, 08:01:02 am »
best looking penobscot ever is Marc st loius's... and even he says there is no benefit to the design...I agree