Author Topic: Osage character static recurve follow along. ***update page 5  (Read 28080 times)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Osage character static recurve follow along. ***update page 2
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2019, 02:20:03 pm »
Ben...just measured it.  It came off the form with 5 5/8 inches of reflex.  It now has right at 5 inches, so it's taken 5/8 of an inch since long string tiller and bracing it.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2019, 03:34:17 pm »
That's not bad considering where you started.
I brace my bows when they are closer to final weight, so I'm interested to see your method and the results.   (-P

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2019, 03:54:07 pm »
Good plan Ben.  The proof is in the pudding.  I believe you take less set doing it this way, and I once did them like your doing them.  It is harder to do that as the recurves become greater, but as a rule I believe the earlier you get one braced the less set it will take.  We'll see!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2019, 07:45:29 pm »
Got an hour or so on it tonight and worked on the alignment.  The string lay about an inch off center...to the right.  The top limb has a "C" shape to it. but it bends to the left, so straightening the "C" would only make it worse.  Very puzzled!!??  I ended up clamping it to the table and taking some of the prop twist out and bending it in the handle.  That got it much closer.  I can straighten the tip now I think and that should do it.  Then see if I can sneak up on 26 inches.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2019, 07:07:23 pm »
A little work on it tonight.  I got the belly toasted and tweaked the alignment.  I set the reflex back to 5.5 inches as well just to make sure everything was even.  I also got my tip overlays ready to glue on.  It's plum sapling which I have used before on some.  It looks good, as the Osage darkens the tips turn a pale rose color in contrast.
I'm thinking I will sinew back it.  Don mentioned it the other day, and I've been considering it.  It would benefit from the backing.  Heck it may hold it together.  As short as it is and with that reflex, I'm thinking why not.  I have nearly enough busted up to do it and I have been wanting to try PatM's method.  Gonna sleep on it.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2019, 07:47:30 pm »
Got the tips glued on.  Also busted up some more sinew, as I have decided to go ahead and back it.  I'm going to try Patm's method, so we will see how it goes.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2019, 05:04:10 am »
  Bob, nice looking tips man...Enjoying this build...Let me know if you need any extra sinew...
                                                                                                                                          Don

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2019, 06:05:02 am »
Thanks for the offer Don.  I have a good bit ready to go.  Shredded 1 tendon last night and I have 4 or 5 others soaking.  First time I have tried soaking and separating versus pounding with a hammer.  I will never pound it with a hammer, ever again!  Wow this is so much easier and renders more sinew.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2019, 06:19:17 am »
Whats PatMs way?
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2019, 06:34:57 am »
I learned to do this based on Laubens instructions.  PatM uses a method that delivers a more refined look to the finished product.  The claim is, and I tend to believe it, that it is also more functional, so I am going to try it and see for my self.  You can do a search on here for the thread where he does his build along on it for a complete explanation.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2019, 10:11:05 am »
  I agree with Bob on the refined look and the fact that excess glue is squeezed out reducing the weight of the backing...Here are 2 examples...First picture is where I followed Pat's instructions and second picture is my sinew work after just laying it down unwrapped without sheet strips...Both ways will work but I think Pat's method removes unwanted weight... Bob, hope you don't mind me posting these pics on your thread...
                                                                                                                                                                               Don
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 03:57:15 pm by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2019, 10:25:02 am »
Nah, I don’t mind at all. This is very much a stream of consciousness post to begin with. Secondly, that is a pretty good set of pics that shows the difference in appearance between the 2. Thirdly, I’ve stepped on a lot of others posts myself but always with the interest of adding something to the conversation. Or just for yuks 😎

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2019, 03:52:00 am »
Just checking in (-P
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2019, 02:54:40 pm »
Hey Bjrogg.

OK, I worked on the brace tiller just a bit this morning after tempering it a few days ago.  I tweaked the alignment and it's as good as it's ever gonna be I think.  I got the back sized, shredded 3 more tendons all in under 3 Blue Moons.  If all goes well I'm gonna apply the sinew tomorrow.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2019, 05:32:39 pm »
  Nice looking sinew Bob, I can tell that was wet when you separated it...That makes the strongest strings that way...I think pounding weakens the fibers, breaking them down, not allowing the full potential/shrinkage, I don't like pounding...Glad you got her all lined up buddy...Looking good! Nice pictures
                                                                               Don