Author Topic: Osage character static recurve follow along. ***update page 5  (Read 28102 times)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Osage character static recurve follow along. Fun by the buckets full!
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2016, 07:12:54 pm »
Yeah, I'm just trying to figure out which move I make next.  I may tweak the alignment by kicking the bent part of the limb in just a skosh.  That would keep me pretty lined up end to end.  But I might recurve first before I mess with the alignment.  I have wood to take off and time to contemplate it though.  Thanks guys.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bubby

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2016, 07:26:00 pm »
Get it bending about 20" before you recurve it and you can get most of the alignment taken care of before you recurve
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2016, 07:34:25 pm »
Yep that's right bub..........but I always have to do some tweeking after recurving, no mater how careful I am in the bending process..
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bubby

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2016, 08:48:52 pm »
That's right Bill but it cuts it way down
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2016, 09:01:19 pm »
That's right Bill but it cuts it way down

Yep....your right.  Keeping it aligned as you go is the best....Thanks Bub!
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2016, 09:18:18 pm »
Yeah I have a lot of wood to take off first, and I will get it bending pretty good before I recurve the tips.  My question is should I straighten that one limb tip by pushing it in some.  If I bend it there the rest of the alignment stays pretty good I think.   I think I will deflex it some in the handle Bubby.  I think it will help lessen the strain some and it may need it.  R/D tiller is not a strength for me so I may call on you for some wisdom.

Offline JonW

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2016, 08:00:11 am »
Being a static it wont have the typical D/R tiller. If you wait till almost the end to recurve it should be a straight forward tiller. Even if you deflex the handle some. The deflexed handle just gets you ahead of the game in tillering so to speak. Clear as mud?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2016, 08:05:26 am »
Looking pretty good! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2016, 08:24:45 am »
Thanks JonW.  I did one bow with a slight R/D shape to it years ago.  The stave was naturally deflexed and I just worked with what I had.  Not enough deflex to really matter but it finished up well.  I shy away from offering much tiller advice on R/D bows as it is a design I just haven't spent much time on.  Anxious to give it a go on this one.  Clear as mud .  Deflex the handle a bit and then just tiller as per usual is what you are saying, then add the recurves later.  Bubby said about 20 inches.  At this point that's the plan.

Hey Jawge.

Offline bowmo

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2016, 09:24:54 am »
MMM....those growth rings look terrible. Better send it to be so I can burn it for ya.  ;)

mikekeswick

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2016, 01:37:06 pm »
R/d recurves have been the best performers I've ever made :) I'd recommend you give it a go. The hard part I found was getting the reflex in the outers to blend perfectly into the recurves but they are worth the tweaking.....FAST bows and the r/d profile pretty much eliminates any shock when it's right.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2016, 03:30:15 pm »
Hey bowmo.  Nice try!  Glad you checked in.
Mike...I've wanted to do reflex deflex for some time.  I have shot lot's of them and I really like them, just a bit outside of my comfort zone to build one.  I'm pretty sure I can figure it out, especially with all of the expertise available.  I've looked at lots of them over the last few days.  Some are a straight deflexed limb right up to the 90 degree hooks, others are recurved midlimb with a more open angle on the static tips.  I like the looks better on the latter, but I need some opinions from those that have made both.  Simon just posted 3 bows the other day, one of which was a real knock out reflex deflex.  I don't have to decide just yet as I have lots of weight to shed first.  Thanks for the input. 

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Osage character static recurve follow along. **Update Page 2
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2019, 12:28:58 pm »
I started this post nearly 3 years ago.  I was away for a while before due to some health issues that finally cleared up...Then I wrecked my sons dirt bike showing off.  Tore a hernia and aggravated an old back injury.  I was a mess for a good while.  But....I'm back, feelin' good and working on bows again.  So, there we go.  Anyway, I have been wanting to get some time in on this bow, so I am bringing this back from the dead.  No new ground to cover on this build.  Should be pretty straight forward, but the stave has some character and alignment issues to deal with.  I took today and worked the belly down with a draw knife and my belt sander.  Got it bending 3, 4 inches of tip travel at floor tiller.  I will straighten the little bit of prop twist in it on the next session and get it on the tiller stick.  Should get a string on it as well, low brace.
I'm thinking I will deflex the handle as one limb is naturally deflexed, then add the reflex to the tips.  Working plan...Any and all thoughts are appreciated. 

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2019, 12:30:08 pm »
Floor tiller stage.

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
Re: Osage character static recurve follow along. ***update page 2
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2019, 05:17:46 am »
Glad you are ok again and real nice to see you pick up where you left! Lovely stave too! I would deflex it to match, makes for a little more forgiving shooter at that length ;D