Author Topic: anyone know much about plumbing?  (Read 2437 times)

Offline sleek

anyone know much about plumbing?
« on: June 26, 2016, 04:42:16 am »
I will be soon tearing out all the old rusted cast iron sewage lines and copper supply lines in my house I am renovating.  I have never done this before and wonder, do I just replace whats there already with the Pex and pvc equivalent, and keep my rise and run the same?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: anyone know much about plumbing?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 09:26:31 am »
Are you on city hook up, or going to septic tank. I'm on septic and I was going to try to hook into existing line but it broke so I had to go all the way to septic tank. Best thing that could have happened replaced all septic line with new and it was probably easier in the end anyway. I used pvc dry fit all pieces 1st mark line with marker across connections so you know which way there turned don't use to much slope
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 09:37:45 am »
I like the dry fit and marker idea. Im going in to a city hook up. Id like to be able to connect in to the main line from my house with out much fuss.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 11:00:21 am »
You might check with your city building Dept. If you do the work and it's not to code they won't let you hook back up.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 11:46:51 am »
They also may require an inspection and a licensed plumber to do the hook up.

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 12:02:34 pm »
Well, at this moment I am really wishing for smaller government.  I shouldn't need all that to fix my house. Ugh.

Anyway,  I will look into all of that. I have no clue about code, I was just gonna rebuild whats there with updated material.  Guess I need to find out how to find out whats code.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 03:38:23 pm »
Sleek.codes may have changed over time.i know some have changed in my trade since I started almost 30 years ago.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 05:03:04 pm »
PVC is the way to go. I know when I worked part time with my friend, a licenced Plumber, we ran the 4" PVC line from the house to the City hook up but had to stop there. The City did the final hook up to their line.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 05:57:45 pm »
We mostly use abs pipe, the black stuff. Styrine is legal but most everyone goes with abs in the ground and under for sewer
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bushboy

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 07:18:59 am »
Look up single story wet venting,i think it's accepted most every where.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 01:21:14 pm »
Plumbing is really simple. Shit rolls down hill. Don't make it too steep, or the water flows around the stuff in the pipe, rather than pushing it down. If you are replacing the whole thing it should be pretty simple. You can hook up ABS to Iron with a rubber Fernco fitting. Pex works well. Invest in a good crimper. Copper in my opinion is fine, and simpler to work with once you can sweat pipe. And you more than likely have a torch and a copper pipe cutter.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 01:51:34 pm »
I'm not a plumber by trade but know plenty about it and I can assure you it's not all that simple. True water does flow downhill it will not without the venting being proper. Do yourself a favor and do some research or post pictures

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 02:01:43 pm »
I'm not a plumber by trade but know plenty about it and I can assure you it's not all that simple. True water does flow downhill it will not without the venting being proper. Do yourself a favor and do some research or post pictures

That is what I mean by if he is just replacing what is currently there. Running the whole system from nothing is a different story.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 04:02:59 am »
I call a plumber. :) I have a lot of weak suites but plumbing is at the top of that list. I can't even put in a trap without it leaking. :) Good luck.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 06:24:34 am »
It's may or may not be a overwhelming job. If you don't finish you don't have sinks toilets showers etc. you don't want to spend a lot of time after you disconnect your sewer line figuring out what to do. It's best to have well thought out plan and more than enough materials on hand. At the time I did mine my home town Hardward Store let me take as many fittings as I wanted and return what I didn't use. Usually not a after work, or when stores are closed job. My home town hardware store owner say the 1st thing you get for plumbing job is a full tank of gas. Good luck however you proceed.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise