Author Topic: Making a flat power horn ?  (Read 5720 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Making a flat power horn ?
« on: June 29, 2016, 04:30:33 am »
Seems I read on here somewhere how to flatten the cow horn, I have looked but can't find it  :o I am soaking one in water over night and then plan on boiling it for about 30 minutes and flatten it between 2 boards in a vice, sound reasonable ? I know tis will soften it because this is how I fit the plugs in the regular ones I have made. I thought I read that some boil in oil but I may have been dreaming, anyone done one of these or know how it is supposed to be done ?
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Making a flat power horn ?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 07:12:06 am »
Yes that'll work Pappy.I like the idea because when wearing it it will be a smoother fit to a person's side then too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 08:41:29 am »
I sat in on a demo and watched a man heat the horns up in some kinda oven and then pressed in a vice and flatten, looked like you could put it in your back pocket when he was done, I didn't pay enough attention to the demo and they didn't come back the following year :( They had a lot of horn for sale also. I was a snoozing on this one, need to quit yappin and start paying attention to detail :o :o   Bob

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 09:41:56 am »
Here is a nice flat priming horn, I like the way the builder used curly maple for the back end of the horn.

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 09:51:28 am »
The guy that made mine has a deep fryer and heats it in oil and then puts it in a vice but he has a form that fits inside to get it final shape
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 10:07:46 am »
That is a nice one Eric, how big is the end plug, hard to tell from the picture. bubby I thought I had heard about someone using oil, I am going to try soaking and then boiling in water and see how this one goes, may try oil next time. I know it gets pretty pliable when I boil the end on a regular one to fit the plug, just not sure about bending as much as I need to make it flat. Ye Bob you need to pay more attention. ;) ;D ;D
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 11:13:53 am »
Pappy I had talked to a guy that was flatting horn for a bow and he soaked the horn in milk. I don't know/remember why he said to soak them in milk. Good Luck. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 11:16:11 am »
Hey Pappy, if you want a yellow horn you can mix yellow rit dye into your water while boiling it. It can be a bright yellow or add a little brown into the pot to make it a little darker. Give it an older yellar look when finished. The mixture may need some experimenting to get the color you want. Sort of like dyeing turkey feathers.

Picture is not my horn but gives an idea of a dyed horn with good color.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 11:26:06 am »
Wow, that yeller horn is awesome, and Pappy the guy did use a form and pressed it in a vice. :)

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 01:28:02 pm »
The end of the horn in the picture has a decorative brass fitting. The stopper is about 1/4" in diameter with the part that goes in the horn about 1/8" in diameter.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 04:36:36 am »
Thanks Eric, Man I like the yellow horn, I need to try that. I soaked mine over night and then boiled for 30 minutes and it worked great, no splits which I was afraid of. I got the end plug fitted yesterday but after looking at Eric's I may make another one that fits inside but has something on the outside also.
Thanks for the info.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good