Author Topic: Out of the roaster and onto the shaft  (Read 3000 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Out of the roaster and onto the shaft
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2016, 09:36:19 pm »
I don't know how to cook knife river. My advice would be to start out with a conservative cook maybe just a few pieces see how it works. If it needs more temp. and time you can try again, keep track of how you cook it so you know what works. Maybe Zuma or Eddie can help you I don't have a lot of experience, but enough to know some stone can be over cooked and ruined. When it works it's worth it Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2016, 02:49:37 am »
I have cooked a few batches of Knife River for a friend. He told me it was likely to get too cracky or blow up if it went high, so I cooked it at 400F for 13 hrs. It flaked beautifully.

WA

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2016, 06:29:56 am »
I think a lot of blowing up is from moisture still in rock. Need to get all moisture out of rock at a temp. below boiling. If moisture in rock makes steam it will "blow up" the Texas flint I ruined didn't really blow up just became very brittle and not strong enough to hold a flake. I've learned since that it requires a lower temp. It is also important for temp to come back down slow but a good amount of sand really helps for the temp changes, just leave it buried in sand till cool
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise