Author Topic: Summer harvest coming  (Read 1464 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Summer harvest coming
« on: July 01, 2016, 08:43:28 am »
Around here wild black raspberries are getting mature.I'l get some picks up later showing before and after.Gooseberries too but not as much here this year.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
Re: Summer harvest coming
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 06:46:34 pm »
They are ready here too.  I need to go get some.  I love the jelly from the black raspberries (black caps around here)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 06:49:02 pm »
You bet....Swampman.I've coon hunted a bunch in your beautiful area by Zumbrota and the Mississippi valley there.Rough ground.God's country.Our berries here are a little late this year.About 2 weeks.Think the cooler spring had something to do with it but figure to get a bunch.Hopefully at least 30#'s.We'll see.I put them in pancake mix/cheesecake pies/and I think Robin will make some jelly too.Gonna maybe sell some excess at the farmers market I think too.
BowEd
Ed

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 07:17:31 pm »
I have a small patch of black berries by my chicken coop . I pick a hand full every day when they are on (like now) and they go nuts over them.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 07:33:12 pm »
You bet everything eats em.Especially birds.Too bad it is'nt large enough for human eating.These around here are wild black raspberries.When they get ripe they are ripe and ready.They fall off easily.People think birds get them but actually a heavy rain or the wind knocks them off most times.So a person has to check every other day for them ripening as they don't all get ripe at the same time.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 02:28:07 pm »
I planned to get a bunch this morning but I didn't.  Too lazy I guess.  Tomorrow I hope to go pick a bunch. They make the best jelly.  I also made jelly from gooseberries one year.  Man was that good. 

Beadman, you are right about this area.  It is beautiful. I have the best drive to work every day.  I drive from Wabasha to Winona.  If you know this area you have probably seen that stretch along the Mississippi River.

Offline JEB

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 09:03:55 pm »
Our black caps and wild raspberries are starting to ripen up. Trouble is we have a good crop of wood ticks also. I am getting the property ready for a memorial archery shoot to honor my dad and have a 20 target course laid out. My grand daughter drives me around in my ranger as I weed eat all the trails to the 3 D targets. I grab berries as I work.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 01:13:29 pm »
Their a little later ripening this year.Some pics.I've got some good picking help this year too.
One patch.They're ripe when they're about black.

Closer look

Again
Luckily they don't all get ripe at the same time.

A rounded full ice cream gallon bucket holds around 6 pounds worth.

BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 10:43:24 pm »
Well we're up to about 25 pounds now.Still are'nt done picking either.Wonder what they are worth by the pound?4 ounces fills a cup.
BowEd
Ed