Author Topic: Fuming heads up  (Read 2727 times)

Offline DC

Fuming heads up
« on: July 01, 2016, 02:15:56 pm »
I had an OS with hoof tip overlays just about done and decided to fume it. After two days of fuming and two days of drying the tips popped off. They were glued with thick CA. One of the tips was warped. Don't know if it was the fumes or the moisture build up and subsequent drying. Just a heads up for anyone considering it. Do the fuming and then glue the tips on :D :D :D

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
Re: Fuming heads up
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 02:48:55 pm »
Ammonia and CA is a no go! Just wet a piece of wood with ammonia and drop some CA - you will be astouned what happens!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 03:25:55 pm »
How do you fume with your tip overlays on Simson?  Do you use something other than CA glue?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 03:34:28 pm »
Good to know!  I just had a similar experience with varnish and CA glue. I was top-coating a bow with a homemade varnish thinned with turpemtine, and next I knew the front edge of one of the tip overlays had lifted. I used dental floss and alcohol to clean under the lifted edge and got it glued back down with thin CA glue. Holding up fine now after several hundred shots.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline simson

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 05:07:07 pm »
I had no problems with epoxi.
If you want use CA you have to wait until all ammonia is vaporized out of the wood.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 11:44:20 pm »
I think the accelerator for CA is a base(as in base/acid) and so is ammonia. This would make it go off early. You wouldn't think that would break down cured glue but something did. I reglued one tip and it worked fine. I put the warped one in a pot of boiling water and then clamped it to a flat board. We'll see if it stays flat tomorrow. I'm fuming a Yew bow as we speak. It has Ocean Spray tips glued with CA so we'll see what happens there.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 06:47:35 am »
Please post your results with the yew bow. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 10:42:58 am »
Will do.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 09:21:03 pm »
I've fumed 3 bows now. Only one with tip overlays. I used TB111 with no problems.

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 01:04:10 pm »
Here's the Yew. The first picture is just to show the color. The second shows the glue line separating right at the tip. That knot is nowhere near as bad as it looks in the picture. The other tip looks good, glue line is good, but if one is coming apart I'm not going to trust the other. I'll replace them. I'll have to fume a small piece of OS and then cut tips from it. It's nice that fuming penetrates so far.