Author Topic: Simple Recurve Design  (Read 1131 times)

Offline Cade

Simple Recurve Design
« on: July 01, 2016, 05:12:32 pm »
I recently moved to Lebanon from Springfield and have been cooped up in an apartment for the past few months. Before then it had been a while since I had made a bow and I'm wondering what some good dimensions for an Osage bow. I've got a pretty clean stave that's a little over 60". I want it to be my hunting bow so 50 lbs at 27" and I have  seen a lot of beautiful bows with flipped and I think static tips that have a really nice  profile. Pictures would be great but I know they are a hastle to post. Thanks!

Offline bubby

Re: Simple Recurve Design
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 05:45:33 pm »
An 1-1/2" wide to mid limb and taper yo 1/2" at the tips2" long fades and 4" handle section. Try and get at least 60" ntn. Tiller it out to about 20" before you recurve the tips and get most of the alignment issues taken care of at that time
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 05:50:27 pm »
A static is a little harder to do if you haven't done it before these were done with a heat gun

Offline JonW

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 06:03:01 pm »
Come on over to MOJAM and we can get ya fixed up!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 06:38:08 pm »
Yep, your timing is near perfect. MoJam will be 7/14 to 16th. Marshall, MO . . . just couple hours from your location!

h ttp://www.marshallbowhunters.org/

h ttp://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,55907.0.html

NOTE: delete the space between "h" and "t" in above links.

MoJam is known for its focus on helping those who'd like to build their 1st bow or their 1st bow of a new design. And there'll be hundreds of selfbows to look at!

See ya there!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Cade

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 06:47:03 pm »
Thanks for the quick replies. I'd love to go to mojom but I think I may be on my way to Colorado by then. One question, what kind of a radius did you use for your tips?

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 07:19:29 pm »
On that bow about the size of a quart paint can then i used a french curl to take off the sharpness of the radius as it returned to the limb

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 01:41:38 pm »
Cade,  there is a few of us guy's that are here in springfield, MO.  Just give us a shout,  would be glad to help you out. I'm sending you a pm, since you moved to my home town!
Hope to see you at mojam!

LLooks like bubby has you on the right path here though.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!