Author Topic: Tiller Check -UPDATED-  (Read 2872 times)

Offline silent sniper

Tiller Check -UPDATED-
« on: July 03, 2016, 12:04:43 pm »
Hey everyone, I glued up another bow since my last post. This is a 65" long bamboo backed ipe that had a very small amount of reflex glued in. The bow is 55# @28 and the limbs have no string follow. Let me know your thoughts on the tiller before I seal it up. Thanks, SS.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 01:48:54 pm by silent sniper »

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Tiller Check
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 12:08:52 pm »
That looks pretty good to me. How does it shoot?
You'll get better advice if you post an unstrung, strung, and front profile

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 12:11:33 pm »
Looks good. I love Ipe!  Makes a great bow.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 12:14:40 pm »
What wizardgoat said.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 12:15:40 pm »
The outer 2/3 of the top limb look a tad bit stiff but other than that it looks good.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline silent sniper

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 12:37:26 pm »
Here are more pictures...

unstrung:

front view:

Braced:

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 01:19:16 pm »
Looks pretty good.  Splitting hairs but the area just before the last 6 inches of the tips (just past mid limb) could stand a scrape or 3.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 01:37:15 pm »
If you are at your weight and length, and the bow shoots well, you could get your outlets working a little more. You will not lose very much weight getting your outer 1/3rds to come around a little.
Or, you could narrow the last 6-10" quite a bit and leave them a little stiff.

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 03:03:36 am »
Yep I'd narrow your outer limbs from around mid limb to the tips.
for the width profile you have the tiller should be elliptical. Reducing the width of the mid - outer limbs will help marry the tiller to the wdith profile.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 09:08:16 am »
Yep I agree with that adjustment too.The harder part tillering is done already on your bow.Should be a really nice bow for ya.Congrats.Be nice to show the before and after on this one.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline silent sniper

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2016, 09:16:13 am »
Thanks everyone! i will adjust the limb width today. Give me a few days to finish it up and I will be back with the completed specs and pictures. Thanks again!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2016, 09:21:14 am »
But now it''ll depend a little on how thick it is out there towards the tips too as to how much you can remove.The fact that you hav'nt done it yet because of your thickness taper of your design leads me to think you should take it easy removing material too.Pulling it to full draw multiple times after each session to reveal any set showing.Even granted there is'nt much stress on the outside 6 to 10 inches.The area of side removal just above midlimb should be watched like a hawk for set.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline silent sniper

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2016, 01:48:25 pm »
Well, I thinned the last 10" of each limb down. Not a lot, but enough to get the taper of the front of the limb looking better. I shot the bow and it shoots pretty well. It has some shock compared to my glass recurves, but it isn't bad. I am going to add some tip overlays, a good padded FF string and tuned arrows and see what difference that makes. I am adding some pictures of it in its present state. The only thing left is a good final sanding and finishing.  The bow is 64.5" NTN.  After shooting the bottom limb is just starting to take the slightest bit of set, under 1/2", which may be from me shooting 3 under. The limbs measured even tiller and look pretty dang uniform to me in the full draw pictures. 

I did not notice until seeing the full draw pictures that I am actually drawing this bow to 29.5", which is the BOP length of my arrows.

Anyway here are the updated pictures, I will have finished pictures within the next few days. Thanks for your help, SS.

front view:

Full Draw:

Shot release:

Online ajooter

Re: Tiller Check -UPDATED-
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2016, 01:56:23 pm »
That looks $$$ man....nice job!

Offline Joec123able

Re: Tiller Check -UPDATED-
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2016, 02:12:25 pm »
Looks damn good  8)
I like osage