Author Topic: In case you didn't have enuf 2 worry about...  (Read 9620 times)

Offline phyankord

• like to do work with my hands more than my mind.
Re: In case you didn't have enuf 2 worry about...
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2016, 12:54:17 pm »
well i for one would have at least 1 flint/steel on me and 1 in the back of the car i was using in my emergency kit with everything you mentioned, i would also have a good ammount of energy bars/emergency food that was packable so that i could eat small snacks/energy bars mid travel so that i could prioritize hunting/fishing for dinner/breakfast only.

the best thing to have would be also a map and compass, said map covering the area you are in all the way to the area your trying to get to (though that would be relatively impossible to get a detailed map that goes across the country that isent big AF)

if not then i would have to stick near big roadways that have direction signs telling me what interstate road goes to which state etc in order for me to get a good idea of where im going.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2016, 12:31:29 pm »
Randall and McNally road atlas could easily fit into a large pack. Granted it's no detailed topo map but it would suffice. I think I would try to raid a museum or antique engine club and look for steam powered transport or some kind. Hot air balloons would also be unaffected, though not exactly ideal transport with a specific location in mind, kind of a where the winds may take me vehicle. Would a faraday cage protect against such a large EMP? If so a couple dirt bikes stored in one could prove invaluable, or better yet an ultra-light or para-plane.
The hordes of starving and frightened people would more than likely be looking for help of some kind leading them from city to city. You're gonna bump into people if you're on the move it's unavoidable. It would help to appear one of two ways. Either look like you're staving, sick, or crazy and have nothing to offer, or go "road warrior" wearing bones, and carrying a large visible weapon and wearing someone else's face for a mask. Use their fear to your advantage. Make no mistake, the more frightened you are the quicker you'll expire. Only the true wild men/women would seek the wilderness knowing it has everything needed to keep you alive. The current cultural view is that that the woods are scary, unpredictable and dangerous. The TV makes it seem nearly impossible for even a well versed woodsman/woman to stay alive. I have to giggle when I see a survival expert eating bugs and drinking is own urine on TV, just to boost ratings. No one would watch if every third plant come across was edible and contained enough water to keep from dehydrating. I have 3 or 4  plant and mushroom ID books that never leave my backpack(after years of practice they're mostly memorized though). Travelling over a distance there will be places with food and places without. Binge eat when near food and rely on what you can carry when you're not. 
The key to survival in such a situation is being mobile and extremely resourceful.  If you have a doomsday stash of supplies in a bunker you've pretty much cursed yourself. You've chained yourself to a giant target that you now depend on for survival. Learn to make tools and forage food, knowledge is power. That way if you do come in contact with pillaging hoards, you're far more valuable to them alive than what they can loot off your corpse. Provided of course it takes more than a couple months for cannibalism to become popular.

Where are we all gonna meet up when this happens anyway?  You guys are certainly a step ahead in this game and are most welcome in my camp for sure.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline DC

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2016, 03:52:31 pm »
I'm almost 70. I think if if the SHTF I'll just curl up and die. :D :D :D

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2016, 05:47:46 pm »
I;m almost 68 and figure I may have another 30 years in me. Don't think it would be any fun to keep on living though, but would want to ride it out to see what God is going to do.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline DC

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2016, 08:07:56 pm »
Oh yeah, but at 68 you're still a young pup. I wouldn't even have played with you in elementary school ;D ;D ;D

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2016, 10:43:28 am »
I'm a bit of a fan of the genre in fiction, books/movies etc. Anything apocalyptic I'm in even if the acting and directing is bad if it's got a good take on the genre I love it. Whether it's nuclear, financial, energy, or zombie there's always some hope of getting past the initial phases and eventual long term survival. Then I read The Road by Cormac McCarthy. If you haven't read this book don't, and by don't I of course mean run right out and get it and then wish you hadn't when you're done, lol. Man, that scenario, just no hope at all, great book but holy crap...

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2016, 10:57:40 am »
I'm pretty sure in case of such dramatic events only a very small part of the patterns we can foresee could be applied.
the big difference would be made by pure luck, resilience and fitness in the order.
the first one it's not trainable. Resilience is hard to train and consist in trying every day to set new goals and try to achieve them, never give up challenges.
Probably the eseast part is to try to stay fit and health

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2016, 12:12:41 pm »
Agree GlisGlis. I've been doing the fitness part. I started this thread to get ideas I hadn't thought of. Lots of people have given me such ideas. I have had to think differently about travel after an EMP. I've been readying a bicycle to carry in my truck, but now have to consider that a bike would be a very attractive thing for somebody to kill me for. (Of course, they would then be the next target for somebody else.)

I would differ a little. I don't believe in luck. It would be up to God whether I made it 2,400 miles home without starving, freezing or being killed by a  highwayman.

It's a very treacherous concept, this apocalyptic exodus.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline phyankord

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2016, 07:34:31 pm »
im just 19 so ive got some work to do if i wanna survive when the gov decides to poop in front of the industrial blower if you catch my drift.

that being said i would prefer to either A find a suitable place in the middle of nowhere to build out post breakdown, or B keep on the move like the OP mentioned, i have a mountain bike and with all that ive been reading recently its kept my mind on survival items, a portable solar panel that i can use to charge my batteries (in the event of a non solar flare/emp apocalypse) spare bike parts miniature screw driver with various bits (say i wanna unscrew a door (or lockpicks which i DO have) to get inside a potentially resource filled building)

i know how to make black powder and could potentially build my own metalworking forge from scratch.

what i need to work on is woodworking (hence my arrival on a site that helps show people how to make bows xD) and plant identification, speaking of i just got my mothers book called "Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Herbs" which i wanna try and memorize at least the stuff in my area. given the chance, if SHTF doesent happen as soon as some of us may think, ide like to try and get a education in naturopathic medicine which there is a university in my state that gives degree's in, but thats quite a few years out so im not pegging on that when it comes to emergency survival knowledge.

Offline sleek

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2016, 09:26:09 pm »
Big problem is the government will probably try and disarm, and prevent folks from moving around like we want to in this case. And I can GUARANTEE they will be better prepared than we will be.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline phyankord

« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2016, 11:11:01 pm »
well now you have to consider what you mean by "disarm" usually its firearms. and everyone here uses bows so i wouldnt worry on that part.

Offline sleek

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2016, 11:56:39 pm »
Id be worried.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2016, 10:00:31 am »
Cool thread, the getting home part would be tough if not impossible in a reasonable length of time, now if it happens and I am home I know where I will head and I have enough stuff there to stop those that want to take what I have [not share] at least for the short term . I figure it will take 2 or 3 months to settle down and most of the masses to be dead. I think at that point me and my family would be fine except for the radiation leaks yall have brought up, in that case it really ant going to matter to anyone. We will all get to meet our maker. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Stoker

« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2016, 10:31:31 am »
I'm gonna have to agree with Pappy.. Being home is one thing.. If I was away on the other side of the Rockies I would find shelter, supply up and fortify.. Trying to cross a range with fall on the way would be suicide.. Radiation I always looked good in green... It is good to think about it and be prepared
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2016, 11:32:55 am »
A little late chiming in, but you would already be pressed for time. It snows up high all year. Crossing the high desert would give you fits due to high daytime, and low night time temps. From Portland to MS is about 2400 miles. It could be walked in 787 Hours. So, if nothing went bad, and you just walked 10 hours a day, you'd get home in a few months. Get a horse, cut it down a bit. It would be tough.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.