Author Topic: Support  (Read 2503 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Support
« on: July 13, 2016, 08:32:20 am »
We have a long standing member (Glenn Doane) here who has been struck an awful blow.  Glenn lost his dad many years ago and has been helping his mother out but his mom had some mini strokes a couple months ago that left her a bit compromised.  A couple weeks ago his mom had another stoke and now she can no longer swallow, I'm sure you all know what that means.  Glenn has been faced with the decision on what to do, feeding tube or no feeding tube.  After much thought he decided not to insert the feeding tube, I agree with his decision as  it would be cruel to prolong her suffering.  I'm sure Glenn would appreciate any support from our community.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Support
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 08:46:03 am »
For what its worth, Glenn, I would have made the same decision you did. Your in my thoughts.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 08:58:47 am by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 09:02:07 am »
That's a very tough thing to go through.I feel too the decision made was for the best.Why some are made to deal with it is hard to understand.My thoughts are with him.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 09:15:55 am »
Glenn, if you are reading this just know you are in my thoughts. I went through a similar situation a few years back. Be strong for yourself and your Mom. She's listening and wanting to hear your voice so talk to her.
 We miss you here on PA. It has been a long time. I'm still using the can of hide glue you sent me...what, 10 years ago?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 09:33:30 am »
Very tough.  I went all the way through cancer with my Dad and we had made the decision for the tube.  When all was done we realized it was the likely the one thing we'd have changed.

I'll keep them in my thoughts.
1’—>1’

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 10:52:49 am »
I really feel for you that is a really hard decision to make. Hope she can be comfortable and at peace.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 01:51:56 pm »
Hey Glenn, know that our thoughts are with you.  Just know I believe you are a good man for standing beside your parents when they needed you. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 03:52:56 pm »
Glenn, we had to make that decision for my wife's mother last year. She had a stroke and couldn't swallow either. My Mother in law still had all of her faculties so my wife put the question to her, She decided not to have the tube inserted and we followed her wishes. She passed away peacefully in three days in Hospice.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Zuma

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 07:22:25 pm »
For what it's worth-
My dad lived with the tube for many years,
God bless my mom.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline sonny

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 07:27:35 pm »
thanks for the kind words everyone.

I won't go into any details but there is absolutely no quality of life for my Mom right now and I
know that I wouldn't want to "live" like that..
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 11:05:31 pm »
Well you've got my prayers @sonny , and I'm sure you also have the full support from everyone in the PA community aswell!

Goodluck!
~Isaia

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 11:31:06 pm »
Glenn you are doing the right thing. Be strong for her.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline chamookman

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 03:13:04 am »
Thoughts and Prayers sent. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline PNewton

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 06:33:35 am »
Hard decision to make. Went through a similar situation with my mom years ago and we made the same decision. Hopefully Glenn has some insight on what his mom would want. Thoughts are with Glenn and his family.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2016, 08:09:06 am »
Glenn:  Had to make that same choice with my brother early this year.  Was the hardest but right thing to do.  Since then I have signed a paper that states my wishes to not try to continue my life if there is no hope for recovery in order to keep my wife from having to go thru that.   Please accept my hope for you not to question your choice.  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight