Author Topic: Your thoughts on finishes for bows  (Read 4388 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Your thoughts on finishes for bows
« on: July 17, 2016, 09:57:45 am »
I'm just wondering what are the best products to use for sealing and finishing a bow? So far I've just used water base polycrylic. I really have know idea if it's good or not it's just all I could find at the time. I'm not real concerned about it being a natural or primitive material although that would be fine I just want something that's going to keep moisture out be durable without a lot of up keep. I would like to use this bow for hunting so I'd like to keep reflection down. Also where to find these products.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Josh B

Re: Your thoughts on finishes for bows
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 10:38:03 am »
My go to finish is tru-oil gunstock finish made by birchwood-Casey.  You can pick it up at cabela's and other outfitters and some gun stores or order it from Brownells in Montezuma Ia.  Don't get the big bottle.  It'll dry out before you ever use 1/2 of it finishing bows.  I like it because you can touch it up at anytime without having to refinish the entire bow.  For a matte finish there are several techniques that work well.  The most popular is to lightly mist the bow with matte spray poly after the tru-oil is dry.  My preferred method is to let the tru-oil cure for a bout 4 hrs and then buff it with my bare CLEAN hand.  This produces a nice satin finish.  Josh

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 11:12:21 am »
Thunderbird bow finish. I've used many different finishes, but it just doesn't get any better than T-bird... not yet anyway. I won't use anything else.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 11:23:33 am »
Thanks D.W.S where do you get that? Is that the same people as Tunderbird Atlatl?

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 11:52:48 am »
I prefer tung oil

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 12:06:02 pm »
What is tung oil and where would I buy it? I'm thinking something that they would use for guitar's would work too.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 12:13:29 pm »
My vote is for Tru-oil. I do about 8-9 light coats and then wet sand it with 600 grit. After that I polish it with a slurry of oil and pumice powder.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 12:18:26 pm »
Magna lac/dull finish works great for me.Outdoor finish.Quick too as a spray preferably.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 12:50:14 pm »
I always hit my bows with 2-3 coats of shellac, then 4-6 coats of tung oil.
Everyone has their own methods, try out a few things till you find what works for you

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 12:55:14 pm »
That's one of the many things I love about this site. Allways more than one way to skin a cat or finish a bow thanks guys I'm taking in all the suggestions
Bjrogg

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 08:30:43 pm »
 I like Helmsman spray in a clear satin. I like shellac, tung oil, wax in successive coats. I like Tru Oil. I like just several coats of tung oil and wax to. A lot depends on the bows use as to which one I reach for. I have a few that are nothing but shellac and wax.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline loon

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2016, 08:47:56 pm »
Tru oil is like tung or linseed oil (boiled?) mixed with varnish and a solvent
I did a mix of amber shellac and tru oil, just to make it darker.. don't know if it makes the finish weaker, likely does

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2016, 08:57:28 pm »
I do just like Josh(Gun Doc)said and I spray satin poly to reduce the shine. I've used Tru-Oil for many bows over many years and never had a problem with it...and I use it on bows and arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2016, 09:15:39 pm »
Thanks for all the ideas guys I think I'm kinda leaning towards the instructions Josh and Pat gave me but it sure is interesting seeing what everybody does. Nobody said water based polycrylic don't know if that's because it's not as good or just because I already tried it.
Bjrogg

Offline leaf_h

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2016, 09:46:37 pm »
The best finishing product I have ever seen is japanese lacquer, those traditional craftsman always apply on horn bows or Yumi. 
Tung oil is secondary choice, as lacquer is much more expensive and sometimes causes deadly allergy.
I have tried wax oil once and I found it looks great and well waterproof, but I'm not sure about its duration.
In addition, I saw someone apply heated bee wax on the wood self bow and it looks nice, too.