Author Topic: Marshall 2017  (Read 155887 times)

Offline ksnow

Re: Marshall 2017
« Reply #375 on: May 22, 2017, 09:50:33 pm »
Truck is already half packed. I absolutely can't wait. Pulling out early thursday, should be there late morning.

Kyle

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #376 on: May 23, 2017, 12:06:25 am »
I got everything loaded today except for my clothes.  I'll be heading to the Dancing Bears house early Wednesday morning.  See you guys in the afternoon.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #377 on: May 23, 2017, 04:55:13 am »
I'm still working at catching up farming. I don't have anything packed up yet, but I did finish planting soybeans last night. Hopefully today get some navy bean ground prepared for planting when I get back. I'm thinking either packing or leaving tomorrow. See you guys soon, praying for safe travels for everyone.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #378 on: May 23, 2017, 05:24:29 am »
Good to hear BJ,  I didn't realize you were a row croper.  Lots of work there.  I used to be a dairy farmer, had 200 head of holsteins. We also done oats,  fescue, and a lot of hay. We also done a lot of hay.  Did I say we put up a lot of hay! I dont miss that part to much,  done mostly square bails and for some reason I always ended up stacking.  But I was good at it,  never had a stack fall.  Even the free standing ones.  I do miss the farm though,  always something to do and normally plenty of it. It was my grandpa 's farm but Mom, Dad my 2 brothers and I lived on it and worked the farm to. 
Plus it was some of the best deer hunting in the county in my book!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #379 on: May 23, 2017, 07:56:50 am »
I didn't realize you grew up on a dairy farm Patrick. I did to. I still remember milking cows with buckets, and carrying all the milk to the tank. I remember when we got a pipeline system, wow did that save work. Of course we had to milk more cows then and put up more hay so not sure how much work it really saved. My dad sold the cows when I went to electronics school in 1979. I came back to the farm in 1984 and borrowed $$$ to buy fresh heifers. I remember pay 14 and 18 % interest and being nervous about borrowing that money. My dad told me " if you ain't got anything, they can't take anything away from you". I've been in debt ever since. My brother and I sold our cows in 1992. Not many small dairy operations anymore. I love the farm. I love planting seeds and watching them grow. It's a lot of work and very risky business but good lord willing I'm going to keep doing it till someone kicks me outta here. It sure has changed a lot in my lifetime, even more in my dad's.
Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #380 on: May 23, 2017, 08:05:44 am »
By the way Patrick, nothing quite like stacking bales in a nice hot hay loft. The water hole sure feels good at the end of the day.
Bjrogg

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #381 on: May 23, 2017, 08:59:22 am »
I miss those hay lofts  and the heat but hope I never have to pull another calf
Folks don't know what a bad job is if they have not been there and done that
See y'all real soon
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #382 on: May 23, 2017, 09:22:50 am »
I miss those hay lofts  and the heat but hope I never have to pull another calf
Folks don't know what a bad job is if they have not been there and done that
See y'all real soon
Yup Guy, it's really funny in a way. We had so many bad jobs when I was a kid that you just tried to get the best bad job. One thing we learned very young was never to complain about being bored. That would for sure get you a bad job. We learned to entertain our selves with what we had. Guess all that made me the person I am today, hopefully that's a good thing. I love to keep busy, but once and awhile I can nap half the Sunday and be totally satisfied.
Bjrogg

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #383 on: May 23, 2017, 10:46:35 am »
I've got toadstools growing in some of the gardens. So maybe we have a shot at doing some mushrooming up there.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #384 on: May 23, 2017, 12:41:06 pm »
That would be a real treat if we found some. All the rain that is coming in the next 2 days might make a few later bloomers pop up.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #385 on: May 23, 2017, 12:53:10 pm »
The anticipation is killing me

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #386 on: May 23, 2017, 01:40:40 pm »
Guys, the "back 40" area is gonna be almost crowded!

p.s. . . . that's a good thingy
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #387 on: May 23, 2017, 01:48:15 pm »
The first year I went to Marshall I found my way back there. Not a soul around, so I pitched my camp and was alone all weekend. The following year I talked Pauly into driving up and meeting me, it was just he and I back there. Now, its packed (er)! Wilder Creek is all class and I love knowing they are making more and more money to continue on.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ksnow

« Reply #388 on: May 23, 2017, 02:19:28 pm »
So, the back 40 is the unofficial PA camping place?  Is it easy to find or do I just ask directions when I get there?  I'll have a tent, so no hookups needed.  Can't wait, weather looks decent once the rain moves out.

Kyle

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #389 on: May 23, 2017, 03:39:00 pm »
Follow the vehicle track through main area (past pavilion), through a lil wooded area (practice range on right), and you'll come out in the "back 40"!