Author Topic: Marshall 2017  (Read 158513 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: Marshall 2017
« Reply #435 on: May 27, 2017, 01:56:48 am »
It sure has turned out to be an awesome time so far! The trade blanket was a lot of fun! We all got some great trades and ended up with some beautiful stuff to! 
Good to hear you're getting close sleek

Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #436 on: May 27, 2017, 07:08:54 am »
The weather was perfect yesterday, rained a little last night after 11:00 but beautiful sunrise this morning. I went to the shower about 11:00pm. Snapped a picture of a very full and busy pavilion, sure is a lot of yellow dust and shavings going in the fireplace. :BB :OK. Sat around Bruce and  Cindy's  (=). I think everyone enjoyed the trade blanket even those who just watched  (-P. I know I did and I'm so glad to see some of my stuff go to a new good home and thrilled with the stuff I received. I don't know Sleek yet but I'm guessing that was him that just drove in.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #437 on: May 28, 2017, 04:19:49 am »
First off everyone who made it here great to see you all again and also many to meet for first time. A safe trip home to all. This meet was just fantastic. After a fantastic day of visiting with Jeb and his wife, Steve and Frank. Shooting bow and helping my wife get started shooting her first bow, we had a full pavilion for a delicious pot luck meal. Following our meal we had our auction and raffle drawing. I might not have played my cards right to get a badly bent bow at the trade blanket but I managed to buy the winning ticket to get one at the raffle, Thanks Greg. After the drawing we had a very entertaining jug shoot. We ended up shooting till we couldn't see any more as it just got to dark. A bit after the jug I believe we managed to gather 23 PA members for a group picture. I know a few had already left but it's a great picture. The pavilion was busy the entire time we were here, from Wednesday till the end. I think our picture really shows how inclusive our group is. I'm sure proud to be part of it.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline RyanY

« Reply #438 on: May 28, 2017, 07:51:53 am »
Hope everyone is having a blast this weekend! I got back from vacation at midnight on Friday and have been feeling sick for the last few days. Wish I could have made it but just wasn't in the cards this year.  :'(

Offline ksnow

« Reply #439 on: May 28, 2017, 08:07:02 pm »
Just got home a few hours ago. What a great event. Meeting everyone face to face was super. The food was great, the trade blanket was entertaining and the shooting was great. I will definitely be back next year. Thank you to all who welcomed me and made great trades with me.

Kyle

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #440 on: May 28, 2017, 08:58:43 pm »
Kyle,
I'm sooooo thankful you were there so Clint and I could get home.. :) ;)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #441 on: May 28, 2017, 09:05:12 pm »
You were a life saver today on the truck Kyle.  Thank you so much.  If it wasn't for you I think we would have been stuck there for a few more days until a mechanic could work on it. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline ksnow

« Reply #442 on: May 28, 2017, 09:40:13 pm »
It's the least I could do to repay all of you for the welcome you gave me. I hope the rest of your travel was a bit less stressful. Not that being stuck at Marshall for a few days would be terrible either though.

Kyle

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #443 on: May 28, 2017, 10:02:28 pm »
I'm home safe. Pat is on his way. I'm loading pics and will post in abut when I'm in for the night, but DAMN! What an awesome event! I count ha e felt more at home in my own house.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #444 on: May 28, 2017, 10:12:03 pm »
We are home. No drama driving home, except Rylie's persistent nose bleed. That seems to be fine now.
Rylie commented that this year was more fun than last. I agree!
Pictures soon.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #445 on: May 28, 2017, 10:42:46 pm »
Words can't explain how great of a time I had at Marshall this year.  It was 4 days of laughing, eating, making bows, shooting, and spending time with some of the best people walking this earth.  I am truly blessed to call you guys my friends.  It was nice to meet Kyle and Sleek.  Thank you for the trades and truck repair Kyle.  There was a good showing from the midwest, DVS, Patrick, Knoll, and A a ron.  Thanks for making the trip guys. 

Last year Paul Semp and myself agreed to do a bow swap at this years Marshall shoot.  It was fun to hand him a bow and get one from him in return.  I received a beautiful Elm bow, a first for me.  Thank you for the bow Paul.  I was also gifted a Badly Bent bow, something I have been wanting for quite a while now.  Thank you Greg!  Somehow I ended up trading Pearly for a bamboo backed Yew bow.  Stixnstones gifted me a very cool custom knife.  Thank you Mike.  I can't wait to unload the camper tomorrow and look over all the stuff that I brought home. 

The raffle table was the best I have ever seen at this shoot.  I saw a lot of tickets being bought.  Hopefully the club raised enough funds to help out with all of the improvements taking place.  The back 40 will be the place to be next year with that new building. 

I tried to take a lot of pictures.  I can't wait to see everyone else's.  I heard Knoll got some good ones  >:D

I found some fresh bacon!

Bill received a bow from Pearly and a set of arrows from Badly Bent

The sun peeked out from some rain clouds just before sunset and made the castle glow.  It was very cool to see in person.

Pearly working on a bow and DVS having a good time

Paul sent a low shot deep into a hollow log

Later DVS did the same thing

Nina loves tanned critters

DVS is 20% Sherlock Holmes, 30% hippie, and 50% redneck  ;D  Thanks for the camera help Dave  ;)

Paul Semp spent most of the week helping some kids make their first bows.  I believe his kindness and patience has made an impact on their lives.

Late night in the bow shop

DVS working on the tiller.  The bottom limb looks a tad stiff

Bill cooking up another fantastic breakfast

Paul working on a yew longbow

Nina's lemonade stand was a huge success. Paul is taking his cut of the profits

Ryan killed a black locust tree

Mike making the long awaited walk to the port-a-let

And receiving a round of applause on his triumphant return

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #446 on: May 28, 2017, 11:34:03 pm »
What a great time guys! Lot of gift-giving happened at this Marshall. Like Clint said we agreed last year to do a bow Exchange. Just for future record anyone that makes Clint a bow needs to make it about 70 pounds at 26 inches so he'll get his 45 at 17 >:D. This is the second trip this year that was just me and my daughter going so my role has slightly changed at these shoots and I have a feeling they will for the next few years while I spend more time watching little ones instead of hanging with the adults. Wouldn't change it for the world though, she's meeting a lot of great kids from all over the country. got to meet a few new people like Aaron, DVS, sleek and Kyle and I'm sure I'm forgetting some. There was a showdown on The Milk Jug shoot for the six to eight year olds between Nina and her boyfriend Nate. She  lost to the old crack shot but she was a trooper and it gave her an excuse just to give him a hug.  did not get nearly as many pictures as I thought I should but here's what I got.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #447 on: May 28, 2017, 11:42:59 pm »
 like Clint said the kids had a lemonade stand and Nina had no problem delegating jobs.  they brought in almost $50 which I split up evenly with all the kids.  thank you to all the adults that generously donated to keeping these kids busy for a few hours.  in the five years I've been going to this shoot it is really grown and become quite an event for primitive archery once again. I highly recommend anyone who wants to be surrounded with no glass come. the only fiberglass you see is little kids which no one thinks twice about. put it on your calendars for next year.  thanks again everyone

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #448 on: May 28, 2017, 11:54:34 pm »
 Nina with her new best friend Miss Marley. I also wanted to thank Bruce and Cindy for putting together the stuff for the kids. they fill up a couple hundred balloons and put a piece of candy in each one and let the kids fling every arrow they got and go collect. I know that's a highlight for most of them. Unfortunately I must not have taken a picture of that

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #449 on: May 29, 2017, 12:45:12 am »
I made it home safely,  got here about 1130 central time.  More tomorrow,  crashing on my soft mattress now!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!