Author Topic: Hello from Croatia  (Read 7541 times)

Offline FilipT

Hello from Croatia
« on: July 27, 2016, 09:46:15 am »
Hi, my name is Filip. I am a young amateur bowyer from Croatia. I hang out mostly at Paleo Planet forum but I also wanted to register here because of vast information this forum provides.

Cheers,
Filip

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Hello from Croatia
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 10:27:45 am »
Welcome, Filip!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 11:11:22 am »
Welcome to PA, Filip. Got any of your cool Croatian bows to show us. Pull up a chair and join in.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline FilipT

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 12:11:49 pm »
I am currently working on a hazel longbow project, it is supposed to be 75 - 80# at 32" and my entry into warbows. Everything is ready but my tiller needs better reinforcing, so I am working on double pulley wall tiller setup, then I'll start with tillering.

Yesterday, unfortunately, my black locust pyramid character bow broke at nearly 28" on tiller tree. I was furious because tiller was really good, but fault lies in mine choice of wood. Even though BL is rot resistant its not rot proof as there are some discoloration marks on back of bow and on one of those it broke :(

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 07:32:28 pm »
Oh well, it happens.  You clean up the mess and find another piece of wood!

I cannot wait to see photos of some of your work.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 12:15:32 pm »
Welcome to the PA site Stalker. Lots of real good people and advice here. We don't always have the same answer, but lots of times there's more than one right answer. Don't be afraid to ask anything the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. Look forward to hearing from you soon.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline FilipT

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 12:21:27 pm »
Thank you all for welcome :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 08:30:40 pm »
Welcome to PA. You guys across the pond sure like shooting those heavy pieces of lumber. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline FilipT

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 02:24:22 am »
Mullet, well, I don't really know what is the deal with warbows in Croatia (does anyone make them?). I think I am only bowyer in my city, and in the rest of the country, there are probably others (probably a handful at most), but I don't know what they make.

Archery here is 99.9% Olympic archery, so a sport, just for tournaments and such, and there are many successful archers who competed in world tournaments, using modern equipment. That is why archery shops sell only those type of equipment so you can see my topics on this forum where I ask for alternatives for strings and such, because of that unavailability.

Traditional archery is almost non existent. I know for one club in my city, that is like a medieval reenacting club and they want to be historical, but keep using laminated bows and such, even with handles that doesn't fit at all with medieval battles. But they make good arrows. I had some minor issues with them when I first started to make bows (read: they weren't helpful at all and practically didn't want to help).

Biggest "problem" is that I don't know any other bowyers personally and what is worst, I am almost sure they don't use this forum or paleo planet forum. If they were on forums and showing their work, it would be moral imperative for me to seek them out personally, to learn something, or to share my findings with them.
I would really like that in future, to connect all these individuals, as I think we are here, a man for himself, making bows for himself.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 06:09:50 am »
Looking forward to seeing your bows. Welcome!