Author Topic: Walnut dyed buckskin?  (Read 4325 times)

Offline Peatreg

Walnut dyed buckskin?
« on: July 27, 2016, 05:16:14 pm »
I'm looking for anyone that's dyed buckskin using walnut dye. Wondering how you would go about applying it if I don't want to soak the entire thing in the dye. If you have any pics showing how it turned out please share. My new shirt is done but I'm thinking of using walnut dye to darken around the chest, back, shoulders and down the sleeves but I don't want the whole thing done. Thanks.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Walnut dyed buckskin?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 06:22:46 pm »
I dyed my brain tan pants a couple of months ago with walnut. I soaked them in a bucket, hung them out to dry and restretched them. No problem.I'll put some pictures up tomorrow. But I think I already posted them on here, I know they are on Facebook.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 10:29:23 pm »
 I have dyed a lot of skins in walnut dye. Never hot !!!!!   
If your wanting to dye just the upper , dip it slowly into the dye upside down.  Suspend it with some kind of
clamps. When you remove it lease it in same position. You may even want to run a stick through the sleeves.
Depending on how dark and uneven you want the color you might want to hand wring out some dye. It more than likely
will not be real even. Hanging it upside down the top side down edges will be darker as dye runs out. The reason for
the stick.

Dog
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline Peatreg

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 01:11:44 am »
What if I rubbed it in with with a cloth or a sponge? I'm not necessarily looking for really dark, just darken it some. I'll have to test on some scrap pieces

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 04:36:08 am »
That might work but I have only done them like Eddie and spotted dog. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 08:56:37 am »
 A spray bottle might work. Try the sponge on scrap as well as spray first.
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 08:47:11 pm »
I changed the darkness of mine by wringing them out, either very hard or lighter. And you can rinse it where you want with a hose and nozzle.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 03:42:48 pm »
Here's the pair I did. This pair was made from three hides that the smoke didn't match. I wanted it darker anyway so the Walnut solved the problem.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Peatreg

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 07:45:11 pm »
This is what the shirt looks like currently. I was originally going to use dark green or maybe black paint on the upper portion of the chest, shoulders and 3/4 down the sleeves. The hides weren't smoked long enough to get the color that I was hoping for. The dye came today so I'm going to test out on some scrap pieces tonight to see if this is what I want to do or go with the pigment paint instead

Offline Zuma

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 09:11:51 pm »
Really nice shirt.  8)Waiting to see what you come up with :)
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Peatreg

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 10:47:15 pm »
I've made the decision to keep it as is and not dye it. Let it age on its own.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 11:58:26 am »
Wise decision I think...Nice shirt there.A little more smoke/grease/and dirt on it will give it a nice petina.At least that's what's happened to mine in time.
Smoking each hide to an equal shade is challenging for sure.My way involves a lot of checking and watching the clock and the degree of heat from the smudge fire.
mullet....That sure did come out nice for you.
I think sometime we oughta all show our buckskin outfits on and then the individual components too.No matter what the style they are.A lot of posting pics I know but I just bought more room on this photobucket so I'm good to go.....lol.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 02:32:32 pm »
Another way of evening up the smoke color on hides is to get the darker ones wet/ring them out a bit and let dry.Continual wetting and drying on smoked brain tan will lighten it up too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2016, 09:45:53 pm »
Wise decision I think...Nice shirt there.A little more smoke/grease/and dirt on it will give it a nice petina.At least that's what's happened to mine in time.
Smoking each hide to an equal shade is challenging for sure.My way involves a lot of checking and watching the clock and the degree of heat from the smudge fire.
mullet....That sure did come out nice for you.
I think sometime we oughta all show our buckskin outfits on and then the individual components too.No matter what the style they are.A lot of posting pics I know but I just bought more room on this photobucket so I'm good to go.....lol.

I like looking at everybodies, gives me a different idea. I'm sitting on three skins now trying to decide what I want to do with them.
Lakeland, Florida