Author Topic: Weird Blog Traffic!  (Read 1965 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Weird Blog Traffic!
« on: July 28, 2016, 05:32:46 am »
I look at the number of views to my blog, over the last week or so it has shot through the roof. Instead of about 250 a day it's up to 700-1000  :o
I can look at a world map of where they are... normally it's Europe and North America mostly.
Suddenly it's mostly Russia!
What's going on? Is it internet bots fishing for personal info/entry to secure sites etc?
Am I paranoid? Do I care? Whats for dinner?
Just thought it odd!
Or maybe the Russians are all getting into making ELBs, 'cos they can't go to the olympics?
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Weird Blog Traffic!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 06:55:28 am »
May be looking for lost emails. ;) :) :) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 08:12:09 am »
I would say they are up to no good. My son had an internet venture selling a photo sharing program, he sold two or three a week for around $35 with just a few hits on his site. Overnight his hits went to 5 to 7 thousand, turns out Russians hacked his site and posted the codes for his software on line so everyone could download it for free. His little business venture was gone so he changed his program to shareware for free and as far as I know abandoned the site.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 12:07:13 pm »
locking IPs and Visitors by Country

If you inspect your web traffic, you may have noticed a surprising number of visitors from countries such as China, Russia, Poland, India and Brazil. Maybe your website only offers local information about your small town in Louisiana. Can that many people from overseas can be interested in your local news?

The answers hides in your website's error logs. There, you will see that many of these visitors are trying to access files and folders that do not exist, hoping to hack into your site, perhaps to turn your server into a spamming zombie.

Some webmasters decide to block all traffic from a number of handpicked countries, sacrificing the few legitimate visitors from China who were looking at your site because they planned to fly in next week to catch a movie at the community hall.

There are several ways to deny traffic from a particular country. To my knowledge, all these methods rely on matching the visitor's IP address to some kind of IP geolocation table.

None of the solutions are perfect: determined visitors will be able to access your site through proxies.

If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 01:39:40 pm »
Adding a CAPTCHA can help prevent BOTs infiltrating Your site.
Good Luck!
~Isaia

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 05:29:17 pm »
It's a google blog...I don't have any sensitive info on there.
I'll have a shufti at the FAQ see if there is any info on there.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 08:49:47 pm »
Well, with all of the traffic it makes you look like the "go to" man for bow making in the UK. You and Trump need to thank the Russians.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 11:49:33 pm »
Well, with all of the traffic it makes you look like the "go to" man for bow making in the UK. You and Trump need to thank the Russians.

He kinda is though.... :D
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 12:44:56 pm »
Weird, my email got shut down unexpectedly this week due to someone in Russia trying to log into it. Hotmail flagged it as unusual activity. Where's the conspiracy theory guys when you need them, I'm sure they could tell us.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2016, 01:56:16 pm »
With the availability of proxy I.P's, it isn't necessarily coming from Russia. But, That seems to be the hotbed of hackers for the time being. It could also be that you have contacts from other countries, making it appear that you have international dealings. I have had one e-mail hacked, and one that they attempted to. It is scary stuff.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.