Author Topic: How long after Tru Oil  (Read 3246 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
How long after Tru Oil
« on: July 28, 2016, 07:51:27 am »
I put 4 coats of tru oil on my  HHB bow. I plan on putting a couple more later but would like to put on tiller tree and scales to get draw weight to write it on bow. How long should I wait will the oil effect the wood in anyway that it would change draw wait or cause set,  effect cast? I haven't strung bow since I put skins on almost 4 weeks ago. Can't wait to shot it again but don't want to mess it up now
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: How long after Tru Oil
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 08:00:49 am »
Tru-oil won't affect your bow in any way, it is good to go after the last coat has a day to dry.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 08:30:10 am »
X2 what Eric said.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 08:31:53 am »
Thanks guys 1st time I ever used it worked nice.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline lauderw55

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 08:51:56 am »
You know I have wondered same thing this myself. I make a lot of hickory bows and stain most of them to to get them darker for hunting but always wondered how long I should wait to shoot or strong the bow after I have stained it.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 09:04:05 am »
If the Tru-Oil feels dry, usually it is.
I usually add a few coats of Tru-Oil and let then dry(usually a coat per day), spray satin poly where I want to write, let that dry, write on it and Tru-Oil over that to seal it all in. Five to 6 coats all together. I've used Tru-Oil for many years, on many bows and never worried about it affecting cast, draw weight or affecting causing set.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 09:27:57 am »
I have had good success with the trick of using Armor All as a catalyst to speed dry Tru oil.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 10:20:50 am »
Armor All didn't work for me at all.  It did dry pretty much instantly, but the finish was milky looking in spots.  I tried it again on another one and same results.  True Oil drys pretty quickly anyway in this environment, 1 coat per day or so.  My impatient nature said why not 3 or 4 coats if possible.  I have stripped it and redone the bow and same results.  Probably something I did wrong, but I wont try it again.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 11:57:42 am »
Glad you asked I was wondering the same thing about teak oil

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 12:00:53 pm »
I have never had it turn milky on me slimbob.  I do put on the first coat of tru oil without using the armor all, and let it completely dry.   After that, I will wipe on a thin coat of armor all with a lint free rag, followed immediately with a thin layer of tru oil.  It will be dry to the touch within an hour.  Using this method, I have been able to coat a bow with 6+ coats in a day.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 02:51:19 pm »
I have a buddy that says the same as he has used Armor All and likes it.  I did just as you described above and the cloudiness appeared on all my attempts.  I finally said to heck with it.  I love Tru Oil and use it often, but I will just do a coat a day as I know it will sparkle for me that way.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 05:24:19 pm by SLIMBOB »
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 05:37:36 am »
I usually wait 24 hours between coats, a little less if the temp. and humidly is right where I am doing it.
What you don't want to do is put another coat on before the first is dry or the under coats will take a long time to dry. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good