Author Topic: Spectra fishing braid as a bowstring?  (Read 9554 times)

Offline FilipT

Spectra fishing braid as a bowstring?
« on: July 28, 2016, 12:36:55 pm »
I am looking for alternative source of bow string material, as traditional ones, such as Dacron and FastFlight are not available in my country.

I found "Spectra Extreme Braid" line in length of beginning with 100 meters and going to 1000 meters for very cheap price. It comes various diameters, I want to use 0.35 mm thick one which has breaking strength of 50 lbs.

Another one is called "Spectra Power Pro". 0.36 mm diameter has breaking strength of 65 lbs.

Do you have any experience with fishing braids and with this particular brand I mentioned? Would it work.

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Spectra fishing braid as a bowstring?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 01:29:12 pm »
Lots of guys use that stuff, buy a little bit and see how you like it first

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 01:42:15 pm »
The spectra power pro in 65 lbs is my string material of choice.  It's super strong and is pretty much all I use.  I make flemish twist strings with it all the time.  You will want to get you some b50 and pad the string loops.  I normally use about 10 pieces per loop cut to about 10 inches long.  Then I use the thicker halo serving for a single serve. If not you pretty much have to double serve the string.  When making the string you will need to wax it good.  I use straight beeswax not the string making wax.  Almost all of my flemish strings are 14 strands which is over kill but I do it for safety and total diameter of the string.  You could probably do as little as 8 strands but it's tiny.  Even the 14 strand string is smaller than fast flight.  The main thing you will need to do is put  a good hard overlay material on.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline FilipT

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 02:08:34 pm »
Awsome, Patrick, I knew I discovered something that works! I have been going crazy in finding suitable alternative for B50 and FF. I don't have B50 as I said, what could I use instead for serving?

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 02:46:31 pm »
I use the Spectra as serving.

Offline bow101

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 02:52:20 pm »
I use the Spectra as serving.

what the freak is Spectra.?
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 03:15:23 pm »
Its braided. That's where it start to differ from bow string. Its also why its finished diameter is smaller than bundled dyneema.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 03:19:57 pm »
I will use it as endless string and put more than needed so its proper thickness.

bow101, Spectra is brand name for strong class of polyethylene.

Offline DC

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 06:10:00 pm »
Awsome, Patrick, I knew I discovered something that works! I have been going crazy in finding suitable alternative for B50 and FF. I don't have B50 as I said, what could I use instead for serving?

You can use the spectra to serve your string. You will probably have to double serve it. 
You can also use dyneema which is pretty much exactly the same. I've made strings with both.  As far as the string goes they turn out pretty much exactly the same.  The dyneema is flat and a little harder to raise up.  I think that fast flight is made with dyneema. I know if you look at a spool of serving (besides halo serving) it says spectra right on it.

Patrick
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 06:13:53 pm by lebhuntfish »
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 07:20:03 pm »
I've used 20 -25 # monofilament fishing line for serving with pretty good results.  Doesn't wear quite as good, but it's cheap and will work for you in a pinch.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline loon

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 07:24:30 pm »
I've used white twisted nylon thread as serving, spectra should last longer. But nylon should be good for padding loops. I want to try knotted spectra/dynemma strings with padded loops. Maybe the knots could be made permanent and secured with heat?

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 07:43:49 pm »
Spectra and dyneema are brand names for the same material.

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2016, 07:45:10 pm »
CA works great to make knots permanent. I used to use it all the time on my racing R/C sailboats. And if you really have to, you can use acetone to undo it.