Author Topic: Belly tension cracks ?  (Read 5212 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Belly tension cracks ?
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2016, 08:14:02 am »
Superglue won't help.  That is like a massive chrysal and if it is a working part of the limb it will just crush the glue.  The bow will last awhile though.  Quite often you get stress cracks like if you try to add more reflex to the spot you are heating while heat-treating.  You should always add the reflex you want before applying any heat.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2016, 10:05:58 am »
Ok finished reflexing to 3 in,here is the crack , think in the end I will sinew wrap that area wont do much for compression but maybe hold it together, didnt treat the last four inches going to flip the tips tomorrow will let you know how this exsperment works out.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2016, 06:21:18 pm »
Good luck. Keep us posted.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2016, 08:30:17 pm »
Looks like you put all your reflex in the handle.  I usually try to have the reflex just a little towards the center and increase towards the limb tips. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2016, 10:45:29 pm »
I have two Osage bows with crack like that. Hasn't hurt them still snap back straight after shooting. I just opened the crack up alittle and put super glue in.

I like osage

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2016, 12:18:23 am »
  Those cracks are from heating to fast to hot at once IN ONE PLACE. This damages wood cells at this place.  The reflex pulled damaged wood cells apart at this place, CAUSING THE CRACKS. Sinew will do fix the wood cells,super glue will not pull the cells back together. STRING IT HOLDS THE CRACK TOGETHER. Why you can shoot the bow for a while. The suddun stop after each arrow aventally makes the crack bigger ,makes cells weaker with every shot.

The more you damaged the cells the deeper they go. Only hope is the cells ain't damaged to much there not to deep and you have enough wood left as to tiller they disappear. But this aneas still danaged you just can see it. So if it's for you finish it shoot it as long as you can. SOME A TIMES LONG TIME SOME TIMES NOT SO LONG.

I have to vent a bit. I'm sure this is going to set on a lot of toes. AND IT SHOULD. This only involves you bowyers out there. As a bowyer like any thing else you thrive to do your best with every bow. And bowyers like hunters don't like to be told what to do.

I understand all about heating bows. When I started and the first 10 years. I heated and bent 25 .30 bows. So I know about why your heating and bending bows. I DO THE SAME WITH NO HEAT AND HAVE FOR 15 YEARS. No doubt about it you can make your bow SWEETTTT looking by heating it just right TO IT LOOKS GOOD. Never give any thought about wood cells your damaging.

The one on the post is just exstearm done totally wrong. 99%  the time you don't see what you've did to the cells. Like his bow it'll last for a while. The bows heated you don't see the damage will shoot. But not as long as it could have if it wasn't heated.

I heat very little and if I do it's only on non moving parts tips handles just to but them in line. Why because I look ahead a ways. I add my reflex wait green, quicker after it cut the better(easy er). You just need 2 saw horses and a floor and a ratchet strap. Ankor in the floor,ratchet the amount of reflex you like or need. Leave it dry like that. You have you reflex. I start out the 1# stave's so I a line as I build the bow. but it you have to Aline, YOU CAN HEAT THE HANDLE AND TIPS TO ALINE.You still have 2 unheated limbs.

2" 2 1/2 Inch's of reflex is about right for me.  I can end up straight to 1/2 " of reflex. When finished.

Now to me its a NO BRAINER. Something to improve your bow making skills or shit heating works for me. Then you the best at bow building your going to get.None of your old bowyers used heat on working parts. Indians even knew it you heated the limbs your bow didn't last. Why you think they almost all used straight in bows. You can build them with out heat.

I know this isn't the way you were taught and the heating always worked for you. I not asking you to go to church or come to a devil worshiping meeting. Just talking about you being a beater bowyer not because I said so but if you have any commonsense then ITS A NO BRAINER.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

mikekeswick

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2016, 03:37:21 am »
I understand what you are saying and agree with most of it.
How about an analogy - bread is nice as bread but if you add a bit of heat you get toast. Too much heat however and you get burnt toast.....Heat doesn't 'damage' wood as such to be more correct it changes wood. Too much heat applied incorrectly however can damage wood.
As Marc says though these 'tension' cracks happen when you heat the wood then add the reflex to hot wood.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2016, 11:49:33 am »
Ok flip the tips this morning I think I will let this acclamate & tiller it down to 40-45 lbs @20 in ,to see if I can get under the crack if not I will sinew wrap that area & call it a day & chalk it up to Green Pea learning  and start a longer version of this bow with out all the mistakes .

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2016, 01:02:26 pm »
Some of my bows are just a series of mistakes, held together with some wood ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2016, 01:29:37 pm »
yep I am shooting one now,, that has so many mistakes, finally got it put together,, and it shoots great,, so far so good,, it is a little lighter than I wanted, but you know what,, its great fun to shoot,, and reminds me to never give up,, :)

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2016, 02:14:20 pm »
What Marc said above echoes my thoughts. I have a couple douglas maple bows I tried to remove deflex on and they have scary looking lines.

They are still shooting (rarely) and the lines aren't any deeper or bigger , but they are still a personal disappointment and throwing good time away when salvage is silly. Wood however, is not costing me anything( besides time).

Those were with dry heat, near finish tiller. Now I use steam with better results (bending/intended reflex). Be careful when adding too much reflex when heat treating.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2016, 11:58:50 am »
Well after letting this one acclamate for a week tillered it out to 40 lbs but it developed the dreaded tick in that area plus started to take set there oh well next case ,to bad this one realy had a nice shape & look on to the next one !