Author Topic: Tiller check 60" BW  (Read 2126 times)

Offline jandersson

Tiller check 60" BW
« on: July 29, 2016, 12:39:43 am »
Hello!
Working on this black walnut stick for a trade. Aiming for 50# @28 over 60", D bow profile with slightly narrowed handle. It has a funky limb that is messing with my head and I could use some help. Left limb is coming out of the handle with a twist up to the hump where it get a little reflex to the tip. Right limb is coming out of the handle with a slight twist too that continues along the whole limb pretty much. Last picture is the bows other side. I'm thinking take off more mid limbs to the tips and maybe a little more on the fades? Also in the last picture on the right side it might look like its hinging between first 1/3 and second 1/3  but the other side of the limb is showing it's belly so it looks a little funny. 
Thanks for taking your time!

Offline Josh B

Re: Tiller check 60" BW
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 01:15:53 am »
Definitely get those outers working more.  Outer 1/3 on the fairly straight limb.  Outer 2/3 on the limb with the kink.  Work on the outer 2/3 of the kinked limb first.  You've got a bit of a hinge started there that needs to be relieved before you go any further.  Also keep in mind, if your wanting 28" of draw on that 60" piece of walnut, your gonna want that center section working.  Where your handle narrows should bend a little less than the rest of the bow, but it does need to be working a little.  I usually wait til I get it within 3 or 4 inches of final draw and start scraping the fades toward the center to get the handle working.  Easy does it!  If you get carried away removing wood, you'll end up with too much bend in the worst possible place.  Josh
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 01:23:45 am by Gun Doc »

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 08:51:40 am »
I agree with Gun Doc and would add that were it me, I would consider heat straightening the limbs.  Easier to get the tiller right.  I'm not sure how Walnut responds to heat but I will assume well enough to accomplish what you need.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 07:31:50 pm »
+3
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 07:41:41 pm »
+4

Offline loon

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 07:45:07 pm »
Looks like it's a bit twisted where the kink/hinge? is.. probably best not to touch it though?

Offline jandersson

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 12:32:37 am »
Alright, pretty much everybody on the same track. I got to ask then, the way I was thinking  was since half of the kinked limb has a some reflex to it then it should not have as much curve to it as the other limb because then it would be moving more then the other limb. Am I thinking about it right?
About the hinge, you guys see it where the hump is? I tried to steam the hump out to make it a little easier but it didn't hold also I was a little nervous to put to much pressure on it.  With the fibers longer on the kinked side of the limb ( the other side of the limb is straight) could I run into problems trying to flatten it out? get compression cracks r something?
I played around with paint. Is the elliptical what should strive for?
I hope my post makes sense, I wrote it way to tired.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 06:44:06 am »
Outer half of that left limb still needs to bend.  Right side is looking much better.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 09:09:48 am »
Yes you could run into trouble heat straightening, but that kink is not too bad so no biggie. Again I have no experience with BW. I would think it won't bend like Osage under heat but it should bend well enough. I typically shim up the area I'm bending to take it past where I want it, that way with a little spring back it ends up where I want it. I would take my form and clamp it down and straighten it. When the clamps are a little loose it's done. I would usually temper at that point, but seems to me that BW may not be a good candidate for that. Let someone else address that. just take it slow to avoid any cracks.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline jandersson

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 12:00:50 pm »
Yeah maybe I should try doing something about the twist and hump. The reason I've been hesitant is because I got belly fractures when I tried to straighten it out and that is why the bow is now 60". I've been working on the outer 2/3's for a long time now and it's getting thin compared to the rest of the limb but I guest I can start removing from the sides a bit.