Author Topic: Knapp'n on the toilet....tank  (Read 17837 times)

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
Knapp'n on the toilet....tank
« on: March 01, 2008, 12:23:00 am »
Well, I had the day off, and the weather was beautiful.  Unfortunately I had the usual Honey-Do's, so I spent most of the day doing them, but after I got them done, I sat in the sun soaking up the 70 degree weather with very little wind (rare in Oklahoma).  Since it's been so windy lately, I still haven't had a chance to heat treat any real rocks, so I went to work wacking on an old toilet tank that I pulled out of the dump last week. 

For an absolute beginner, I've had a lot pf problems working with totally flat material.  I know that you're supposed to "zig-zag", but I always made the mistake of trying to start in the middle of an edge.  After some experimentation with the porcelain, I found that if you start on a corner and then zig-zag it works out pretty well.  Even though the point's not very thin, I did get all the flats off and came out with a fairly symmetrical point. 

You guys inspired me to use the toilet tank, and I think it turned out pretty well for a first point. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline huntertrapper

Re: Knapp'n on the toilet....tank
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 12:28:51 am »
looks beter than i mine. ;D
Modern Day Tramp

wvfknapper

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 12:29:54 am »
Nice work on the Johnstone, you can also Knapp some of the ceramic tiles and they come in purdy colors  ;D

When working those flat pieces (slabs and plates) and doing the zig zag, never hit across the blank, always strike at a lengthwise angle, toward the tip or base and you are way less likely to snap it.

wvflintknapper

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 12:48:13 am »
That's interesting Robert, never heard that before - will definantly keep it in mind.
 Wow Mike your really moving along :). I've never tried that thunderchert myself but hear it works and obviously so :o(great looking point!). So you gonna set the prairies on fire and cook some of that flint? I'm kinda waiting on burn bans myself down here. Don't think they'll notice my li'l ole fire though :D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 01:05:36 am »
Thanks guys.  Robert, I'll try that next time too.  I had to start pretty wide to move in and get rid of the finish glaze.  I've also got some left over ceramic tile that's a pretty sandstone color.  I may try that next.  ;)

Yea, Paul, we have had our share of Burn Bans.  We got about two inches of slow soaking rain two weekends ago, but when the wind blows 20-30 mph every day, it doesn't take long to dry out.  I need a full day, with nothing else to do,  :'(  , and perfect weather so I can get that rock you sent me cooked.  I've even been toying with the idea of loading my smoker up with sand and trying it in there.   ::)  I can fix supper too.   ;D

Either way, I'm learning.  And having a blast.   ;D  ;D

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline cowboy

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 01:11:09 am »
That's all that counts man ;D. Keep us posted on your points, and I'm cookin some rocks next week burn ban or no 8).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Bishop

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 02:13:48 am »
Deputy: "Sir"
Cowboy: "yes officer"
D: "you know we have a burn ban"
C: "yes officer"
D: "why did you build a fire"
C: "well, i'm cooking some rocks"
D: "Rocks?"
C: "yup"
D: "your cooking rocks?"
C: "yup"
D: "rocks"
C: "yep, rocks"
D: "you mean like stones"
C: "yep"
D: "your cooking rocks"
D: "why are you cooking rocks?"
C: "to make them easier to break"
D: "your gonna break the rocks after you cook them?"
C: "no, you gotta let them cool down first"
D: "let me get this straight, your gonna cook the rocks, let them cool down, then break them up"
D: "rocks?"
C: "yep, rocks"
D: "like stones...rocks... from the ground?"
D: " ummmmm...i gotta go"
C: "have a nice day officer"
 ;D

Bishop

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 08:32:37 am »
 ;D ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

wvfknapper

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 08:45:53 am »
lol

Dustybaer

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 09:25:23 am »
bish, you're killing me  ;D

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 09:48:58 am »
nice lookin point.  they looking real good lately- Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline cowboy

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 10:25:26 am »
Hehheh ;D ;D. That's prolly about how It'd go Bish - cept, I'd be holdin a $500.00 ticket next to my soaked down smoldering pile of put out coals as he drove away :D.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 10:46:34 am »
Good looking point. The johnstone is good stuff to learn that percussion on. Like Robert said, try to angle the flakes, especially in the early stages, and run your first series or two fairly short to get some convexity going-those flat surfaces love to step and hinge. We oughta have a toilet knapping contest-see who can come up with the coolest Clovis or Dalton or something from a chunk o' toilet.  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 10:54:35 am »
I just happen to know where a poor ole forgotten toilet is laying in the woods ;D.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 11:03:52 am »
Great job brother, you must be half caveman... or justa naturally good napper... thanks for sharing... Mike a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston