Author Topic: Learning to shoot arrow on right side?  (Read 16690 times)

Offline punch

Learning to shoot arrow on right side?
« on: July 31, 2016, 10:38:15 am »
Anyone have tips for learning to shot an arrow on the right side of the bow? I have tried a few times but my aim when shooting on the right side is so far off I give up after a few days. I shoot with a modified pinch grip which causes some twist like a thumb ring does but not as much. I usually counteract that by using my index finger on my bow hand to keep the arrow on. I think that putting the arrow on the right would help with my accuracy. Thanks

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Learning to shoot arrow on right side?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 10:49:30 am »
Man wish I could help ya.I would think I would have to cant the bow the opposite as to shooting off the left side.Which would change my grip selection some changing things a lot.I can see why at least in the beginning a person is inaccurate.I'm sure there are regular horn bow shooters that have some experience with it.
You ever see that Lars Anderson video?He'll shoot off the right side for a right handed shooter.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 11:02:38 am »
If you are shooting with a thumb ring you shoot off the right side(right handed) because the thumb opens to the right on release. With split fingers and three under the fingers open to the left so the left side of the bow is the appropriate side of the bow to shoot off of.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 11:14:15 am »
OK...that's good to remember.Watching some videos on this thread given by others what that bow hand does on release means a heck of a lot to arrow flight,but like stated doing the same thing over and over consistently is the key here I think.I do think shooting with a thumb ring reduces friction to a finger release more than likely getting a little better arrow speed from that.
BowEd
Ed

Offline punch

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 11:21:19 am »
Yes I have seen Lars video but it doesn't really help. I'm looking for more of experience of others to switching sides. I  think I have a lot of built up muscle memory from 20 yrs of shooting on the left.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 02:18:24 pm »
Just curious, why do you think it would be more accurate? I wonder if the time spent learning to shoot off the right would be better spent improving shooting off the left. Off the left has worked for many archers for many years. (I know, that's a poor reason) You get guys like Lars that (probably) shoot off the right more to increase their firing rate than anything. You have to remember that guys of that caliber could probably outshoot most of us using any style at all so copying him may not be the way for the average archer.

Offline punch

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 03:58:17 pm »
I was thinking that by eliminating the front guide finger would get rid of some inaccuracies from the arrow and finger hitting

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 04:06:34 pm »
Once you release the arrow it shouldn't touch the bow at all. Archers paradox bends the shaft around the bow. Properly spined arrows get around the bow easily if spined properly  If you shoot European style, with your fingers but on the right side of the bow(right handed) you will probably have to have arrows with weaker spine to compensate the fingers releasing towards the bow instead of away from it like if shot off the left side. With your fingers releasing to the left it is less work for the arrow to get around the bow.
 I think the trick is properly spined arrows for you and the bow and consistency by the shooter with each shot.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline loon

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 06:27:05 pm »
I usually had to aim to the left with the arrowhead, but that's probably not a good way to do it... had rather poor accuracy. With thumb ring. Maybe you need weaker spine with pinch if they go to the right. I'm thinking it may be best to aim with the edge of the handle and with the string at shorter draw lengths, or just do instinctive and make sure everything (arms, back, ...) is lined up well.
am not a good shot, definitely interested in this since I mostly shoot thumb ring, right side and want to improve my accuracy. Some people using this style are very accurate though..

Offline punch

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 07:18:41 pm »
I shoot like this for reference.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2016, 07:38:51 pm »
The few times I've shot with a thumb ring(horn bow) the arrow went way right, I mean way right of where I was looking; Three to 4' to the right.
  I shoot instinctive(as per Asbel)and don't see any part of my bow or arrow until the arrow is where I was looking. Learning to shoot instinctively isn't hard but takes lots of practice...and concentration. But if you put the time and effort in it will really pay off as far as accuracy. At least it did for me. All I consciously do is pick a spot where the arrow will hit. My brain does the rest sub-conscientiously....but it takes time and commitment, you have to want it.
 Start out 10 yards from your target, pick a spot and shoot. Continue this until you're consistent. Then move to 15 yards, then 20 and so on. Don't just go out and shoot, make every shot count. Ten well placed arrows is way better than 100 slung arrows.
 Once your archery muscles develop you have to maintain them by shooting every chance you get, preferably every day. It's not how many arrows you shoot it is making sure that each shot counts.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 11:55:46 am by Pat B »

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 09:31:26 am »
Well put Pat B.It's got to be a desirable commitment in the right way to get things consistent.It's a struggle for everyone.Noone  is a stranger to missing shooting long bows.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 10:36:22 am »
Punch, the real question is in your release grip, you say it's a modified pinch, and you show a picture where it seems the fellow is using pinch combined with the index and middle finger pulling on the string, is this an accurate description? If so then your release will still move the string to the left, thus you will need the arrow on the left side of the bow. Whichever way the string leaves your hand, be it to the right off your thumb or to the left off your fingers, that's the side you want to place your arrows.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 11:24:36 am »
Well put Urufu.
Personally when shooting off the left side I just cant the bow some letting the shaft rest on my knuckle and never use my index finger on my bow hand to hold the arrow still.I shoot mediterranean style though.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2016, 12:00:03 pm »
If you have to hold the arrow on the bow with your finger while drawing you are gripping the string and arrow and not just using your fingers as a "hook" to pull the string back.