Author Topic: Tree Stands?  (Read 10872 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Tree Stands?
« on: August 06, 2016, 08:07:23 am »
I'm getting my primitive gear all made and ready. All of this will be completely new to me. I've never hunted with a bow or from a tree stand before so I have a steep learning curve here. Yesterday I shoot from a couple of my buddies tree stands to see if I liked them. I really wasn't that thrilled but maybe that's how it goes. I'm not as good of a climber as I was in my younger days and I have a couple buddies who fell out of there trees one is no longer with us leaving is wife and kids on a thanksgiving day I'm sure they wish they could forget. I'm looking for something I feel safe standing on and can have enough room to shoot without my bow hitting something. It will be on my property so I could build something permanent from wood or steel. I'm kinda thinking just a raised platform with a comfortable chair. Any suggestions? Pictures? Thanks
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Tree Stands?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 08:44:34 am »
If your feet leave the ground, wear a harness!!!   The cheap ones that come with a stand will work but aren't the most comfortable or user friendly.  You can buy a decent harness for $50 on up.  I started wearing one when I fell from a stand a couple of years ago.  I'm so used to it now I don't even know I'm wearing it.  I use ladder stands mostly.  You have to position them to where you expect to get a shot from.  After you get it set up take a bow up and do some test draws in different directions to make sure you have good shot opportunities without hitting your bow limb on anything.  I'm not a fan of climber stands.  I think they are better suited for tall skinny guys and not short round guys.  The last time I used one I pulled a stomach muscle on the way up and it was all I could do to get down.  I never felt safe in a climber stand.  I grew up hunting from permanent wooden stands and killed a lot of deer from them.  With the price of treated lumber and coated deck screws they aren't that much cheaper than a ladder stand.  Plus I think its a lot safer and easier to put up a ladder stand than it is to build a permanent stand.  Ground blinds are a good option for selfbows.  I use cedar limbs to make mine.  Pay close attention to which way the wind usually blows when picking out a spot for one.  If you do hunt from a stand make sure you practice from it or another elevated position like a 2nd floor balcony or something.  My shots are always high when I'm shooting down from a stand.  I have to adjust my aiming point. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 09:38:00 am »
I diffenatlly agree on the harness I'm sure my brother and wife wouldn't let me hunt without one. My brother is big into wheelie bows won state triple crown this year, he is big proponent for safety harness. Still working on him for the traditional and primitive stuff. He was really against it when I first started making stuff but he's starting to come around he actually told me he thinks I might get one and I actually think he's a little proud of his older brother now.( invited me to shoot with his wheelie friends and they all were interested)
Bjrogg

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 11:31:59 pm »
After many years of hunting from tree stands I gave them up a few years ago because I just didn't feel comfortable anyore. To be able to shoot well you have to be comfortable with being in a tree stand. I hate wearing a harness too. They are really confining and uncomfortable...but I wouldn't go up a tree without one.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 12:01:05 am »
I wear the harness that is like putting a jacket on. It's comfortable and all you have to do is click the thighs in and hook to your tree. I'm going to play with a Gilly Suit this year in Florida, see how that works.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 12:43:40 am »
A shorter bow helps too.

But in my eyes if you are up a tree, your chances of killing yourself are as high as drinking and driving and just as dumb without a harness. We all know what just happened to Bryce, and Im not certain if he had a harness?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 09:02:33 am »
Bryce wasn't hunting, he was climbing and a limb broke.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2016, 10:00:11 am »
Even a harness can kill you if you don't get out of it in time after having it save you from falling. You only have about 15 minutes to get out of it.
 Sleek, I hunted from a tree stand for probably 30 years. There is no way you can compare it to drunk driving unless you were drunk hunting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2016, 11:22:51 am »
It was a comparison to your chances going up of getting hurt.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2016, 12:02:21 pm »
I think I know what your saying Sleek, Pat sorry to say I know a few of those to one fell out of his tree twice was in a upper body cast the second time, missed his whole hunting season but lucky he survived and recovered. The really bad thing about the drunk driving is the innocent lives that are lost or ruined. I'm not a big partier anymore did lots of stupid things in my youth, sure glad I never hurt anyone.
bjrogg

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2016, 05:32:45 pm »
All of the new tree harnesses come with the step up straps so you are not hanginging. You have more of then 15 minutes now.
All Fall Restraint devices in the industry I work in require the Relief Straps, now.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2016, 06:47:16 pm »
That's how long its been since I wore one.   ;D

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 11:00:31 am »
Knowing me I'd probably be hanging from the harness when the search party finds me, lol.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2016, 11:27:26 am »
I figure if I fall out of a ladder stand with a harness on I'll be able to reach the ladder and pull my self up.  I don't carry the straps.  Plus the tether line is so short and I mount it high on the tree.  If I did fall I wouldn't go very far.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2016, 01:33:05 pm »
Get a Hunters Safety System vest. You could hang for hours and be just fine, if you happen to fall. 

I'd also suggest using a well, store bought built ladder stand and avoiding steps and strap on ladders.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.