Author Topic: Tree Stands?  (Read 11053 times)

Offline sleek

Re: Tree Stands?
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2016, 01:49:31 pm »
What about harnesses kill you?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2016, 01:57:27 pm »
The hunter safety system is the one I have. 

Sleek, I think they can cut off the circulation to your legs.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2016, 02:13:37 pm »
...and cause a heart attack, I believe.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2016, 02:17:18 pm »
Or, hang upside down until your dead. That has happened several time already.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sleek

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2016, 02:41:23 pm »
Hell, id rather fall.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2016, 02:47:29 pm »
That's the premise behind HSS vest. You cant flip upside down. You could lose the ability to make babies.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sleek

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2016, 02:49:48 pm »
That's the premise behind HSS vest. You cant flip upside down. You could lose the ability to make babies.

Sign me up

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2016, 02:57:39 pm »
Thanks for all the info guys I've been to busy to properly reply. Pearl if I make anymore of those I'm in big trouble lol.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2016, 04:15:16 pm »
Same here BJ.  If I have any more I'm demanding a refund from a surgeon.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2016, 07:49:58 pm »
Tree stands???    Hummmmm not me anymore ...old big guys don't bounce... :)  but if I did it would be the ladder stands.  Not real portable, but very sturdy.   If I was much younger and needed to be mobile it would be the new style climbers.  I used a climber a lot many years ago.  I would stay away from the screw in steps and strap on stands no mater how young or in shape I was in.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2016, 08:35:12 am »
I always kept a small knife attached to the harness strap where it was easy to get to if needed to cut the strap.
 I've used climbers, chain/strap on and ladder stands. At one point I even used a 1x10 board with "V" notches on each end to wedge into the crotch of a tree, the latter I would not recommend.   I do use ladder stands now but I don't hunt much anymore.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2016, 08:50:05 am »
Thanks for all the info guys, I think I have a couple spots I'd like to put a tree stand would have more but so many dead ash here now. I probably go with a good ladder stand any things I should look for? Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2016, 08:54:56 am »
You can get fairly inexpensive ladder stands these days. If attached properly they can be quite secure.
 Do Not use a tree stand in any dead or dying tree!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2016, 09:38:48 am »
Most of my stands are the cheap 16' ladder stands from walmart.  They work just fine.  My wife bought me a really nice ladder stand for Christmas one year.  Its taller, wider, and more comfortable.  It's also a lot heavier and squeaks like crazy.  I had to take it apart and spray rubber on every connection to quiet it down.  We take our stands down after deer season every year.  They stay in better shape and don't rust as quick.  Check the nylon straps each season. 

Here are some tips that we have figured out over the years hunting from ladder stands.

We have started using more ratchet straps with our ladder stands.  They usually have a bar that spans from the middle of the ladder section to the trunk of the tree.  We ratchet the stand to the tree where the bar is.  That keeps the stands very secure. 

Don't put a stand in a tree leaning forward.  It's very uncomfortable and dangerous.  A slightly leaning back tree is better.

Put blocks of 2x4 or similar boards under the feet of the stand to keep it from sinking into the dirt. 

Make sure you angle the steps so that the seat platform is level. 

Avoid putting a stand sideways on a hillside.  They like to lean downhill and are dangerous to put up or take down.  That is how I fell from one. 

Take a helper with you to put them up or take them down. 

Put a good cable lock or chain on your stands.  They have a tendency of walking off if you don't lock them down. 

Try to pick out trees with good cover.  Remember that the leaves won't stay there all season.  A tree next to a big cedar works well.  Big multi trunk trees are also good at breaking up your outline. 

If your ladder hits any limbs or other tree trunks put a rag between them and ratchet them down tight.  The wind will make the trees sway and the metal stands squeak where rubs on the bark. 

When I set up stands to take my daughter hunting with me I put a lock on in the tree next to the ladder stand.  I climb up first and step over to the lock on.  I attach my harness to the tree before I step over.  We had a 2 man ladder stand but it was not comfortable at all.  The seat was wide but wasn't very deep.  You had to sit on the edge of it and it was a pain in the butt literally.  I sold it and bought a 1 person ladder stand.   

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2016, 10:01:11 am »
Sorry to ramble on BJ but all this hunting and tree stand talk has my hunting juices flowing.  It's almost that time of year again. 

One more tip that we figured out is to rake the leaves from your trail when they start falling.  You can sneak into your stand without crunching a bunch of leaves and scaring all the deer away.  It doesn't seem to bother them.  If I rake a trail in the afternoon the next morning I'll see deer tracks in it.  They are curious and come to check out the exposed earth. 

Here are some pictures of some of our stand set-ups.

And one of my ground blinds.