Author Topic: Tree Stands?  (Read 11052 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Tree Stands?
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2016, 10:17:43 am »
Thanks Osage very helpful advice. Right now even cheap stuff is a substantial investment for me. My son always hunts with me for gun season I would love to have him come for bow but he's really poor climber. Some how my son in-law got him to stand on his ladder while he hunted with his wheelie bow and they took a small doe I still can't quite picture that one because he shakes the whole time he climbs a ladder. lol. He loves to go hunting it thrumps all his fears.
Bjrogg
PS RAMBLE ON OSAGE. Thanks for the pictures to. One other question do you try to shoot from sitting position? It seems the best method for me was to stand side ways and kneel one knee on seat. For shooting from elevated position I bend at the waist to face target at same angle I would face it standing on ground, that keeps my "aiming" point the same and stops me from shooting high
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2016, 10:37:00 am »
With a bow I always stand to shoot.  If I see a deer headed my way I stand up the first chance I get without spooking it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2016, 11:43:36 am »
bjrogg....It's best to practice from all type of positions I'm sure you realize.The darn deer rarely appear where you want them to.If possible I like to shoot standing but it is'nt necessary.
OO's got some nice setups there.GO get em buddy.I think I'm at 9 tree stands here and 4 ladder stands.2 ground blinds.Wind is a factor so having that many helps to be adjustable to conditions.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2016, 12:34:48 pm »
Thanks Ed. I know this will be the hard part and those darn deer just do what darn deer do appear of of no where and vanish even faster. I've been practicing many different positions from ground. Sitting in chairs, kneeling on one knee, even sitting Indian style on the ground. I still always try to "square myself up" to same angle to target if I can.the reason I asked about sitting in blind was that it seemed my limbs got in the way when I tried it. I need to get some stands and practice from them figure out how to set them up and use them. Might take a while to get the number of stands you have but I know what to ask Santa for anyhow lol. Thanks again
Bjrogg

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2016, 01:20:54 pm »
bjrogg........If a person can find the time stump shooting with a blunt helps a bunch for me.Shooting from the ground reduces the angles.A 60" bow works good for me in a conventional type ground blind.
I've only been shooting and making bows since 2009 and the first year a person just needs to get on the board with a deer.I don't care if it's a yearling or what.Confidence builds from there on.Scouting your set ups properly.Maybe OO[I'm sure crookedarrow will too] has mentioned this but I always set my tree stands up so that my best window and shot is from the deer coming from behind me.A quartered away shot.Right in the sweet spot.With lots of cover in the background to break my outline up just off a main trail.Think like a deer......lol.Scrapes/bottle neck junctures of trails etc.Got oak trees?Deer love honey locust pods too.Getting this all set up a month before season is the goal.
It's really a blast even if a person does'nt get a shot during the rut with all the activity going on.Grunts/bleats/& rattle sticks help more than a person realizes too.
I've found some great deals at yard sales for deer stands lately.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2016, 01:42:41 pm »
I had my tree stand stolen last year.  But I'm actually going to buy one right after I get off work today. 
Best of luck to all you guys, let's fill up this forum with hunting pics this year.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2016, 01:59:13 pm »
Thanks again for all the great tips Ed I really like that quartering away shoot one. I was watching all the pigs sell at the fair thinking that quartering away shoot looks like a good one much better even than broadside lol. I'm figuring on taking anything I can maybe might not take 1st shoot but probably will. It will depend some on amount of time available and what I'm seeing that gets close enough. I do fully intend on enjoying the hunt whatever the outcome. It's always good just to blend in with your surroundings and watch what's going on. I do want to put something in the freezer and get a hide and sinew. Horns are less important but if they come with the package I can use them for handles or flaking tools. And if there big enough to hang on the wall great (1st won't have to be very big lol.) thanks again any tips welcome like I said before this is going to be totally different hunt from any of my others.
Bjrogg
PS sorry to here about your stolen tree stand Aaron my dad had his lucky tent stolen once. Second that pictures and I want to read the stories too.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2016, 02:20:02 pm »
aaron....Pics of even the misses aaron????.....lol.I'll see if I can show an arrow stuck in a tree....ha ha ha.
Blasted theives!!!!That gets me bowed up for sure.I don't have or use any trail cameras but can definitely see their function useful.
bjrogg....I'll guarantee you start putting meat in the freezer you won't feel intimidated at all with self bows.You'll be the PREDATOR!!!!!!
BowEd
Ed

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2016, 03:10:49 pm »
BJ, have you deer hunted with guns or modern equipment before?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2016, 03:38:28 pm »
Yeah  Osage always hunted with an old single shot 16 gauge  got my son a H&R rifled barrel 20 gauge a year ago he loves coming with me hunting but is still a bit scared of the shotgun. I don't understand I've been shooting since little kid but I don't pressure him to much about it. It really is a nice gun I've allways liked single shots have a H&R 223 for fox and coyotes. I like to wait for the shot it's so exciting. I usally don't shoot unless I know it's going down. Maybe might miss a fox or coyote but can't remember a deer.
Bjrogg

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2016, 05:53:38 am »
You have gotten some great tree stand advice so far.  Here's some of my thoughts on the subject.  I believe in the safety harness too.  Stay hooked on from the time you leave the ground - it could save your life.  You don't have to be up high to get all the advantage you need.  I usually buy a fifteen foot ladder stand and leave off the bottom five foot section.  I don't like the shot angle provided by being higher up.  My set ups are close and if my stand is too high, it is almost impossible to pop both lungs.  That is a real factor.  The difference in putting an arrow through both lungs or just one can be measured in hundreds of yards of blood trailing.  I have also taught myself to shoot sitting down and I sit with the bow in hand and resting on my lap.  I keep an arrow nocked and have learned to get pretty comfortable in that position.  It provides the least amount of movement when it is time to shoot.  I also hunt on my own land, so the steel ladder stands are my favorite.  Before each bow season for the last few years, I have bought a couple of the fifteen foot guide gear ladder stands from sportsman's guide.   I leave them in the woods all year but replace the ratchet straps each fall.  After a few years of this, I finally have a stand for any direction the wind might be blowing.  They are very stable and inexpensive.  Good luck this year.     Oh, and if you go with that type stand, buy a decent cushion or your butt will look like you spent the winter sitting on a waffle iron. ;)     
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2016, 07:55:37 am »
Thanks Howard, lots of great advice here. I'm actually very comfortable shooting sitting or kneeling when I'm on the ground. I've been trying quite a few of my buddies stands and have found a few I could shoot from sitting down a least in one direction, but it seems like in most my limbs hit something or I can't get to full draw. It might be that I need to learn some different techniques. I do like the angle from a lower stand also. My cousin has about 12 ladder stands in his woods and said the one that always gets the most deer is a 10' tall stand. I still haven't bought stand yet but I'm getting more of an idea what I think I want. Thanks again guys for all the tips
Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2016, 09:42:18 pm »
Mark one of my buddies that is hunting with traditional gear this year(FG now but he wants to go primitive), helped me put up my 1st tree stand today. I'm glad he helped me I think we got it in a much better spot then I would have put it. Its on a really nice trail I showed him on the edge of field and lane. we put it in a cedar tree. its a 2 man and I tried shooting out of it . I really like the angle and should really break up my out line it actually about 5 cedars I'll try to get some pictures up soon.
 PS Man I've really been seeing some nice Bucks this year and got some great trail camera pictures
bjrogg.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2016, 10:13:37 pm »
Start a new post with your trail camera pictures.   I've got a few I can post. 

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2016, 10:20:14 pm »
Yea I gotta figure out how to post them from my computer or get them on my phone. I sure love seeing them this time of year all in groups with velvet on and racks as big as there going to get.
Bjrogg