Author Topic: Annnd THIS is why you make friends with your game warden:  (Read 7689 times)

Offline Stoker

Re: Annnd THIS is why you make friends with your game warden:
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2016, 04:41:03 pm »
Plan wisely.. We are need a full report and score
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2016, 05:13:48 pm »
Gonna have to print off a few copies of this one for friends!!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2016, 06:37:50 pm »
Ha! That is awesome

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2016, 07:47:46 pm »
Forgive me for asking but why on earth would you trade a Rem 700 .243 for a 30-30, especially with the distance shots that are possible in your neck of the woods.  I know a lot of fellas like um, but a 30-30 is barely a step above a slug gun IMO. Often they are touted as a great brush gun, this isn't the case at all. They did testing in american hunter about 20-25 years ago, shooting 30 different popular deer riffles through an array of 1/4 dowels and charting the results. #1 .257 roberts, #2 .243, #3 .270. The 30-30 wasn't even in the top ten (or twenty for that matter). The effective range is far less than it's counter parts as well. They drop like a rock after 150 yds. If you're a fan of lever actions, they have better calibers to choose from, for sure.

Sorry for ranting. I've just seen a lot of lead carelessly slung through the brush from some yahoo and his 30-30, thinking branches have no effect on that "super caliber". I know you wouldn't do such a thing, but that weapon is one of the most preferred by those that do. In the open like that I'd grab a nice flat shooting bolt action and a good 12 power or better scope and a set of bipods. Get there before light and dress like a shrub. Range find until one gets inside 300 yds, take a deep breath, and you know the rest.

Good luck regardless JW, I'm sure you'll get it done either way. Especially, if you put forth the effort you did to bag that buck. That one didn't come easy if I remember correctly. 
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2016, 09:01:04 pm »
Three counter points:

1) Your article was probably written to disprove the old wives tale about how .30 cals can shoot thru brush.  Heck, even .50 cal BMG rounds deflect.  I have never felt that was an ethical shot to "shoot thru the bushes" and had nothing to do with my decision making process.

2)
30-30 is barely a step above a slug gun IMO.
  I bet that opinion is based on scores of highly biased outdoors writers being paid by advertisers.  And those advertisers were blowing the horn for the latest and greatest whatevers.  If it was old fashioned, it was to be abandoned because everything new is better.  My decisions were based on numbers and modern science.  Have you seen the numbers for the Hornady LEVERevolution MonoFlex rounds in 30-30?  Better than 2,000 ft pounds of energy at the muzzle, near onto flat shooting at the 200 yd mark and retaining a significant amount of that energy due to G1 Ballistic Coefficient of .330 and a sectional density of .241.  Plus, unlike the most highly rated and subsequently overrated bonded lead core bullet, these copper rounds have all but 100% weight retention, expansion that is near flawless, resulting in superior terminal ballistics. I recently read an article saying that the short magnums were now out of favor with the gun crowd when just a few years ago if you weren't carrying something that ended with WSM, you just weren't in the game.

3) Last year I ending up passing on three bucks, all bigger than the one I was able to take.  And in all three situations they were no further than 65 yds, AND to make matters worse, the scope on the .243 was the reason all three times.  Had I been carrying iron sights, all three would have been slam dunks.  Year after year, I have shot deer no further than 65 yds, with two exceptions.  One was a buck at 90 yds with my flintlock and the other was a doe at 140 yds with my caplock.  The 140 yarder was an anomaly, but I took the shot because I had literally thrown a hundred dollars worth of powder down the barrel of that same gun that summer shooting for quarters offhand at a 140 yd gong at the club's range. It was cake.

Yeah, there are long range shots on the prairie of South Dakota, but I will be hunting the Black Hills for the most part and this will do me more than fine.  The two tags I have are, in effect, management tags and landowners have signed up to have deer taken out of their haystacks and farmyards.  I should be able to get'er done with the old "dirty-dirty".

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2016, 01:35:56 am »
From what I recall the article wasn't really geared toward putting down a particular caliber, just an attempt to report on the best brush gun. I just use the results to bash the 30-30.

I haven't seen the new bullet you mentioned, but it sounds like they certainly made some improvements that helped the guns performance especially past the 100 yd mark.

I remember your run of sour luck last season and was glad to see it turn around at the end. Typically all of my shots end up being fairly close. It has a lot to do with the terrain. PA is rolling hills with younger trees and unless your hunting farm fields or power line cuts visibility greater than a 100 yds is rare. I've popped a few woodchucks at 200+, but can't match your black powder ability. I've only taken 1 doe with a flintlock. It was a 80 yd. head shot, which sounds impressive until I admit I was aiming for the chest.  The only reason I even took that shot was because all of the non-vital areas were obstructed.  I haven't hunted with black powder since. I can't deal with the hang fire. I flinch heavy even with a rest. Our flintlock season is the same as second season archery so I stick with the bow. I typically hit what I'm aiming at when we're talking arrows.

I only spent one season hunting in SD, mostly in the hills. If you're on the ground and on the move I could see the appeal of a open sight lever action. In fact the 8 point I ended up taking out there, first passed me at about 12 yds. I didn't even bother raising my gun because I knew were he was headed. When he hit the clearing at the bottom of the hill he was at 80 yds. which was a more fitting shot for my scoped 30-06. I wish I would have been able to hunt archery out there, but my bow had split a limb during the move out and I couldn't scrounge the cash to fix or replace it before the season. I hope to make it back out someday, but I think I may have missed the "hay day". I've heard that the regulations and tag structure have changed quite a bit.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2016, 02:16:12 pm »

I've only taken 1 doe with a flintlock. It was a 80 yd. head shot, which sounds impressive until I admit I was aiming for the chest.  The only reason I even took that shot was because all of the non-vital areas were obstructed.

Piffle!  It all eats the same in the end.  Own it, you made a head shot!