Author Topic: Bamboo Arrows first try  (Read 10097 times)

Offline cantshoot

Bamboo Arrows first try
« on: August 09, 2016, 10:37:07 pm »
Had a go at making bamboo arrows using the "home depot" style guide that's pinned.

Worked pretty well. Used 48" plant stakes and they seem to produce arrows spined about right (but what do I know) for my bow, at least they are similar (a little stiffer) than my FG arrows I got when I started out. And weight came in around 23g (350 grains) so it seems okay for my 30 pound bow :)

The straightening and sanding worked out pretty good, the arrows are smooth and feel good in the hand. For the points I turned them in a power drill out of some birch wood I collected during ice storm season. They stood up to some shots too so they are durable enough to last a little bit I hope

Found some turkey feathers on the sale rack at a local archery shop, so I had a go at fletching. The cock feather ended up not quite in the right orientation... whoops. We'll find out how important that is I guess. I have a username to live up to after all. ::)

Offline loon

Re: Bamboo Arrows first try
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 11:32:23 pm »
nice job! I think I'm a bit too perfectionist about straightening and thus don't know when to stop and always get frustrated

that point looks good

Offline cantshoot

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 11:39:40 pm »
Thanks loon. The smell of toasting bamboo was nice... But I quit while I was ahead and said good enough... After breaking two other shafts trying to straighten them. When it reaches the right temperature and bends it is a cool feeling, but a couple of times it must have got too soft and the whole thing buckled when I bent it.

Nice stuff to work with though, and pretty attractive

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 12:00:11 am »
Cane makes great arrows. Looks like you did a good job. I would suggest that you add a wrap behind the head even though the point has a shelf. Cane splits pretty easily and it wouldn't take much to ruin your arrow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline loon

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 02:36:35 am »
I broke many arrows trying to straighten because I was heating them way too much with my heatgun... I think 200-250C (480F) is already plenty. Maybe 200C is around the max..

I don't know how others straighten them while leaving char marks... with a heat gun.. maybe they heat them at high settings for short periods? 3 seconds or something?

Would small kinks or "snake" sort of near the nock or near the point make an inaccurate arrow?

Offline cantshoot

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 07:13:25 am »
Thanks for the advice! I think the additional wrap is a good idea even though it will make it stick in the target harder.

The scorch marks actually look okay... Maybe in the future I will try staining or painting the shafts...

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 10:06:25 am »
Loon, what I've always been told is that if the nock end and the point line up and it spins true then wobble in the middle is not such a big deal.

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 10:20:01 am »
Thanks for the advice! I think the additional wrap is a good idea even though it will make it stick in the target harder.

The scorch marks actually look okay... Maybe in the future I will try staining or painting the shafts...

If you file a shallow groove with a 1/8" round file right behind the tip and put the wrapping in the groove they will come out of the target easier. I used kevlar fly tieing thread and only needed 10 wraps or so. After you wrap it, soak it in CA.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 11:57:09 am »
Nice job can'tshoot. If you have access to a grinder or even a file you could make point from a double headed nail. It would help you get some wieght forward and probably shoot better I'm guessing. Keep at it and you'll learn so much you'll have to change name to canshoot
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 12:01:20 pm »
Urufu is right. If the point and nock line up and the arrow spins true on the point it should fly just fine. One of the Arrow Trade arrows I'm making will be a crooked sourwood arrow.  I spin all arrows on my finger tip to be sure there is no wobble.
  I would not hunt with a "crooked" arrow because the crooks could impede penetration but it is fun to walk up to the practice line at a trad shoot and watch the glass bow guy's jaws drop when you hit the bulls eye with one.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline loon

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 02:28:41 pm »
Urufu is right. If the point and nock line up and the arrow spins true on the point it should fly just fine. One of the Arrow Trade arrows I'm making will be a crooked sourwood arrow.  I spin all arrows on my finger tip to be sure there is no wobble.
  I would not hunt with a "crooked" arrow because the crooks could impede penetration but it is fun to walk up to the practice line at a trad shoot and watch the glass bow guy's jaws drop when you hit the bulls eye with one.

Spins true when spinned from where...? When spun from the balance point on the thumb/index nails? Though putting on a point would change the balance point.. They always seem to wobble a bit.. how do you spin them, just rotate them or give them torque? Or do you rotate at the nock with one hand while the point is on the other hand's fingertip?

Thanks!

Offline cantshoot

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 02:40:41 pm »

Spins true when spinned from where...? When spun from the balance point on the thumb/index nails? Though putting on a point would change the balance point.. They always seem to wobble a bit.. how do you spin them, just rotate them or give them torque? Or do you rotate at the nock with one hand while the point is on the other hand's fingertip?

Thanks!

You have to balance a dinner plate on the top for best effect.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 04:12:52 pm »
I put the point on my finger with the arrow vertical and spin it like a top. If you feel a wiggle it needs more work. Even with a crook or two in the middle, if the point and nock line up it should spin true and when it does it will fly true.

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 07:32:19 pm »
I'm a little confused about this too. "If the point and the nock line up", two points will always line up. Maybe just a little more info. Thanks

Offline cantshoot

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 09:17:06 pm »
I put the point on my finger with the arrow vertical and spin it like a top. If you feel a wiggle it needs more work. Even with a crook or two in the middle, if the point and nock line up it should spin true and when it does it will fly true.

So the spin test is fine... The arrow spins until it stops without falling off