Author Topic: Passing it on  (Read 1564 times)

Offline Wolf Watcher

Passing it on
« on: August 28, 2016, 11:28:38 am »
Spent the day at the Painted Rock camp ground with the Wyoming Game and Fish.  Each year they have a day where they teach kids all kinds of outdoor activities and skills.  My game warden friend and I had a flint knapping class.  I had slabed a box full of obsidian preforms.  We had three sessions of an hour each and had a total of 19 kids.  The G&F provided gloves and goggles and I made Ishi sticks and flakers for them to use.  I took a display case of all kinds of points, Arrows with stone points, a couple of my skinning knifes, and a osage bow for them to see.  We can use stone points for big game in Wyoming.  It was a fun experience and after the classes were finished I told the kids they could have the tools and blanks.  Was really surprised to have them all return.  They all left with tools, hand pads, and a fist full of blanks.  Made my day!  I told them they could visit the PA site for more information.  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Zuma

Re: Passing it on
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 05:17:25 pm »
That's what it's all about Joe.  ;)
I bet it was good for you too.  ;D
Thanks for sharing.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 01:40:45 pm »
I always love demonstrating knapping to kids and adults alike. When we show someone, even a small kid, how to knap, he will likely not grasp much of the technique, but the seed planted in his mind may produce another knapper or other person who appreciates the outdoors and the wild. All who watch will leave knowing that it can be done. Thanks for the teaching.

WA

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 09:17:17 am »
Joe , nice to see ya posting, and nice to hear about passing it on. I have been asked to give a demo at local college and a few other places this yr.  :o :o  I am honored that they asked  me to speak.  Bob

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 12:14:42 pm »
Bob:  I sure could have used some help all those years ago when I got started.  Hands on with young kids is hard because they lack the strength to make a spall.  I can tell you those people you are demonstrating for will always remember your presentation!
Hoping to get a shot at a bull elk this fall. Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 02:50:56 pm »
Way to go
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250