Author Topic: Tapering 3/8in shafts for Glue-On Points  (Read 3054 times)

Offline DesertDisciple

• Arise, for it is your task, and we are with you
Tapering 3/8in shafts for Glue-On Points
« on: August 13, 2016, 01:55:29 am »
I received some 3/8 in POC shafts as part of a trade and I'm brainstorming ideas to make them work with conventional glue-on accessories. I have a couple ideas and wanted to run them by y'all.

The easiest way is just to build a sanding taper jig but I only have a 1×30 belt sander.

I thought perhaps I could just sand the ends down to 23/64in and use a normal tapering tool. The ferrule would sit flush that way. Sound like a good Idear?

Actually just though maybe glue sandpaper to a jig set at correct angles and chuck shafts up in a drill.... that may be my most sustainable option.

Well anyway, any ideas let me know, I'm off to do fractions. Lol
Best Regards,

Andrew

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tapering 3/8in shafts for Glue-On Points
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 03:26:12 pm »
Andrew, make a jig to put on the table of your 1" belt sander for making the point and nock taper. Cut 2 "V" grooves in the base, one at 5deg(nock end) and one at 11deg(point end). With the base mounted to the sander table and your arrow in the appropriate groove spin the shaft while coming in contact with the belt to taper the end. Cut the taper longer than normal with the thicker shafts. You can shorten the taper if necessary.
 You can build a simple shaft tapering jig and taper the rear 10" to 11/32 or 22/64 then use the regular point/nock taper tool to taper the ends. Tapered shafts like this seem to clear the bow better also.  Here are a few pics of the jig I made...

The dowels in the end of the jig in the last pic are spacers(3/8", 23/64", 11/32") that I place at the end of the jig as a stop and to space the tapering arms. They come out of their hole and fit in the holes(for dumping saw dust) along the length on the jig. The side arms have wing nuts on the pivot bolts and a slot in the base for quick adjustments.
 I made this jig to taper poplar shafts and it worked well so POC should be pretty easy. Chuck the shaft in an electric drill and slowly work it into the jig, going back and forth as you feed the shaft into the jig. Don't force it, just let the sand paper and drill do their work.
 I used course, 4" sanding belt(for durability and cut to fit) fastened with double sided carpet tape to the tapering arms. Both the sanding belt and double sided tape came from ACE Hardware but should be anywhere. Not expensive to make but very effective for rear tapering shafts.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DesertDisciple

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 04:22:44 pm »
Pat thanks for the reply and that is an impressive jig! did you use a router to cut the grooves for your adjustment screws?

I was experimenting this morning with my belt sander but was having trouble laying out the angles.  Since I'm only working one side of the shaft at a time don't I need to half the angle? so for a 5 deg nock end I need to lay the actual edge of the shaft 2.5 deg to the belt?
Best Regards,

Andrew

Offline DesertDisciple

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 04:36:44 pm »
just saw this
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=17608.0

seems like what i was doing but the angle appeared to come out steeper than it should. I'll experiment.
Best Regards,

Andrew

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 05:20:43 pm »
That is basically what I was talking about but the one I have "V" grooves cut in the base instead of wood added on top at the angles needed like Justin did.Either will work fine.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DesertDisciple

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 05:22:52 pm »
Yeah what you said totally made sense and I will try both. I think I was over complicating it a bit. :) I appreciate it.
Best Regards,

Andrew

Offline DesertDisciple

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 07:34:52 pm »
So I have an ugly duckling gluing up and now that I figured out the angles I know I can make a pretty one in the future. I like the groove idea but I will wait till I get a better sander to make one like that. 

Should I get heads in 23/64ths to work with these?

And Pat, how do you keep your shafts from being damaged by the drill chuck?
Best Regards,

Andrew

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 08:22:33 pm »
Start will full length shafts.  You might be able to wrap tape around the shaft to protect it.
 For the adjustments I drilled 2 holes and cut the slot between them with a coping saw.

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2016, 10:08:11 pm »
I made a little collet kinda thing by cutting three slots in a piece of thin brass tubing. Put this in the drill and the arrow in this. It spreads the load, stops the chuck from damaging the shaft and stops the belt sander from firing the shafts across the shop. I got the tubing from the hobby shop. They have a rack of nesting tubing of many sizes. Two or three of them will fit any size arrow you want.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2016, 10:26:28 pm »
Great idea, DC.